Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Other coils for E-Trac? Do you use any?

moseng

I was at a park on Saturday that had a TON of bottle caps and pull tabs on every swing! Although I slowed my swing WAY down and was able to find stuff I was thinking an 8" or even smaller coil would have helped but not sure how much? I was wondering about a bigger coil as well to cover more ground and get deeper in less trashy sites.

I checked some of the past threads and it seems like many folks here are more than satisfied with the stock pro coil. Do you use any other coils for different conditions and is it that much better than the stock coil? And if so why? What type (model/brand) of coil is it? Thanks!

I use the stock coil and the small 6" Excellerator coil. The Excell works great for the trashy areas.

CIMG0721.jpg

EZrider said:
I use the stock coil and the small 6" Excellerator coil. The Excell works great for the trashy areas.

How would you compare to the stock coil? Have you done any tests to see how better in separates trash from good targets?

Also, It is my understanding that the DD type coil looses some depth so wouldn't a concentric design be better for the smaller type coils?

I have the ML 8" coil and the SunRay 5" coil. I had them for my SE but they work on the Etrac also. They both work great in trashy spots but as good as the stock coil works, and if I wanted a smaller coil, I would bypass the 8" and go to a SunRay 5" or like EZrider suggested the Excellerator coil. I dont really see a need for my 8" coil as good as the stock coil works!

The 6" in the pic is a DD like the stock coil. As we know the DD design is great in seperation "hence better in trash". One thing i noticed right away was that i had room to push up the sens and remain stable with the smaller coil. The pic i posted shows a Rosie i dug not 5 min of swinging the coil when i first got it. In my test bed i was able to hit all targets with the small coil.

[size=medium]After many hours using the stock coil, I purchased a 6 inch Excelerator Double D coil and most recently the 15 X 12 SEF Coil. After using all three, I keep the 15 X 12 SEF coil on my E-Trac. It seems to separate targets at least as well as the stock coil; and, when air testing, it gets a about 1 inch deeper than the stock coil. It sure looks big and heavy when you first put it on, especially when you're used to looking at the stock coil, but you get used to it rather quickly. If you think that you are getting adequate depth with your stock coil for your type of hunting, save the money and stay with your stock coil. As for the 6 inch coil, I was always concerned about the loss of depth. Where I normally hunt, depth is the primary concern.[/size]

Dave,
I owned the Joey and its nothing special. I definitely would not pay the money for that again when you can get the 6"DD from kellyco for 99.00.

I recently had the change to try the 15x12" S.E.F. COIL and I must say this is one coil that stands above the stock coil. Being here in the Hawaiian Islands we have some very heavy minerialized volcanic soil. Yes there are places on SOME of the beaches tat are not as bad as others. But when you hit the "heavy" spots (sens around 4.) it is very difficult even for the e-trac. Not to many VHF machines can compete with the E-trac and get the results that I can.

This is my results using the 15x12" S.E.F. COIL. A person that I know has the E-TRAC and uses the S.E.F. While out hunting on the East side of the Island I came upon a target and noticed my sens around 4. I attempted to increase but could only go up 7 or 8 before readings became unstable. I call my friend over and I showed my readings to him. He ran his S.E.F the target and his SENS readings were 12. His depth meter was 12. I ran my coil back over the target and my depth meter showed a 12 but the sens was the same. I put the S.E.F. on my machine and my sens readings went to 12 and the depth was 12. I dug the target and the target was at 16". Now I know the depth was OK because after digging three scoop my depth meter was reading 9".

This was tried a few more times that day when erratic readings were obtained and sens went down and by some reason by using the S.E.F. COIL, my machine appears to maintain allot better.

Now I am not saying to go out and buy this coil, nor am I saying that this coil will perform any better for you. I am saying it performed better for me in my ground conditions at that time.

I will be going back out tomorrow and my friend and I plan on trying this again. Question: Were we using the same program and was the settings the same? YES.

BOB

moseng said:
I was at a park on Saturday that had a TON of bottle caps and pull tabs on every swing! Although I slowed my swing WAY down and was able to find stuff I was thinking an 8" or even smaller coil would have helped but not sure how much? I was wondering about a bigger coil as well to cover more ground and get deeper in less trashy sites.

I checked some of the past threads and it seems like many folks here are more than satisfied with the stock pro coil. Do you use any other coils for different conditions and is it that much better than the stock coil? And if so why? What type (model/brand) of coil is it? Thanks!

The 8" Minelab coil is actually 7 1/4" OD while the sunray 5" is actually 5.5" OD. So thats not much difference. Something to think about when comparing the small coils.

HH
Neil

I have the joey and the 8 inch minlab prefer joey, still big enough to cover a reasonable area with each swing yet is narrow and sharp enough to pick out good targets in littered areas. neilo

I bought the 6" excelerator months before I got the E-trac to use on the Explorer because of all the finds that Bryce-IL was finding at a hunted to death park, pior to that my favorite coil was the 7.5. So when I put the Explorer II for sale I listed it with a small coil, I then had to decide which to keep and after an hour of testing (which I should have done when I first got the 6") at my trashy coin garden, I kept the 7.5 because it just locks on better and give a sweeter tone on coins. I also just got the 12.5 excelerator and will do a comparison with the factory butterfly coil, somebody please talk me into the 12x15, doesn't Bryce bragg about the 12X15 also?

Bryce may use the SEF 10x12 butterfly. A hunting buddy of mine got a 10x12 SEF, but he hasn't had it on his E II very long. I not impressed yet, but only time will tell. I'll see if he starts getting all the goodies, until then I'll stick with my etrac or XS and Pro coil, Platypus, 8" or 5" sunray coils. I'm using the Pro coil mostly right now. Depending on the site is what I change to. The 8" sunray has done okay for me, but haven't really given the 5" a fair chance on the etrac yet. I had good results with the Sunrays and the Platypus on the XS, but I like them all depending on conditions at the particular site..

Thanks for all the replies! So let me see, I need the 12x15 SEF for the deep stuff and a small coil for the trashy areas.... either the 6" excel or possibly the 5" Sun Ray or maybe.... :goodnight::stars::surrender: I do see that you all do use different coils depending on the circumstances which makes sense but as I wrote in my original post it didn't appear that too many did... I was wrong! :)