Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Out for a Picnic - Coins that is

corvair

My metal detecting buddy is retired and does a considerable amount of research during winter months in search of possible coin detecting sites.He had one on his list several miles away that sounded really good and was used in the early 1900's. He was able to secure permission from the landowner to detect 130 plus acres. But where was the old picnic grove? He and I made the initial trip there and covered about half or a little more during one hunt of 5-6 hrs. duration. No coins recovered that trip.

Not giving up my buddy made another trip searching in an entirely new area. He found one wheat penny towards the end of that hunt and proceeded back home. When he got home he carefully cleaned the wheat penny and noted that date being in the early teens. Remembering the picnic grove being used as late as that time period a light bulb went on! Next day he was back to the site and after carefully circling where the wheat penny was he started hitting coin after coin. Some rain came and ended that successful hunt. The Picnic grove site had been located however and the next hunt awaited.

My buddy e-mailed me describing the coins he found and the area he found them in. After an invite which I gleefully accepted we made plans for this last Friday to detect all day.
We arrived at the site and after a quick area description and perimeter orientation he had determined previously, he and his F75 and me and my Deus began finding coins. I was running Gary's "Hot" program which has some of my own adjustments. I run two tones with higher conductors set at 750 hz and the lower conductors being set at 250hz. Reactivity is set at 0 and silencer at -1. This program has served me well on some other picnic sites last year and helped me locate a couple dozen Indians,some seated dimes and some barber dimes as well as V nickels.

After the first 10 minutes I was into Indians and Wheat's(all early teens back to 1889 on those that had legible dates). Then came the first V nickel, then the first Barber dime. Coins just kept coming. I dug one 90-91 signal and it ended up being a two coin Barber dime spill. All in all I found 6 Barber dimes, 1 Standing Liberty Quarter, 4 V nickels, 1 Buffalo nickel, 6 Indian cents and a dozen Wheat's. Most of the penny's and nickels were pretty toasted, only a couple Indians really came out above average.The dimes were all heavily tarnished but cleaned up well with baking soda and a dab of water using only fingers to remove the tarnish.

As a side note, one of the wheat's had a clean bullet hole right through the coin. How cool that find was.

adc4l0.jpg

dvqdeu.jpg]

What an awesome hunt. Thanks for sharing the story.

Yes ... once again you have proved the fact that research and hard work can really pay off !
Congrats on the great finds ... now go back and find some more ! :detecting:

Thank's all for the nice comments. It sure was a lost of fun that day!! I owe it all to a great detecting buddy!! He and I have had many adventures over the years that I will cherish forever. Thank you Ken!!:bouncy:

Awesome Hunt with great research that paid! Agree go back!

What depth were you finding most?

The average depth was probably 5-6 inches with a few down to maybe 7-8 inches. There was a weird layer of clay mixed with almost an iron speckled material at the 8 inch mark.

My Deus has the 9 inch coil and I use the WS5 full headphones.