Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

oziexplorer and GPS combo

dirtdigger84

Gday guys, Ive been lurking on this site for a very long time now, i currently swing a Etrac and Excalibur. I'm loving the idea of a gps and i just read about oziexplorer.

from what i understand if i have old maps and some way points it overlaps and it can give accurate gps coordinates? Id love input on a GPS that's hassle free? (i have no idea what brand to buy and it wont be used for water detecting) that will allow me to plot my finds so i can see if there's targets in more areas than others, give accurate coordinates of locations I've manually added. Am i asking to much from a GPS? cheers.

Im from queensland Australia if that helps with brands or anything

Yes. If you have few a map and know co-ordinates of several places on that map, you can calibrate that map in OziExplorer and than easily get co-ordinates for whatever place on the map. You can also display over that map any waypoints collected in the field and do many other things. Ozi is very user friendly and simple to use. Make sure to buy the license - the free version has some serious limitations when it comes to accurate calibration of maps. Speaking of "accuracy"; your biggest limitation is going to be the accuracy of that old map. No miracles here - if a (say) location of a house is not accurate on the map, no software in the world will fix that.

GPS receivers... Years ago, there were huge differences in performance between various GPS brands and models. Today, you can pick just about any modern dedicated handheld GPS receiver and it will be locking in, tracking and giving accurate readings. Note, I'm not talking here about the receivers build into other gadgets - these usually lack decent antennas so they often suffer from poor reception in dificult conditions. The biggest differences in modern handhelds are the bells and whistles that they offer. Personally, I like Garmins - it's the brand that is the most widely supported by various mapping software. OziExplorer supports up/downloads from Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance/Eagle and some other receivers.

thanks very much for the reply. The Garmin Etrex 20 seem to be cheap enough couple of hundred dollars? Would that do the trick. cheers

I Just did some browsing and i can get the etrex30 or the oregon450 for the same price? if you had to make a choice which one? cheers

dirtdigger84 said:
I Just did some browsing and i can get the etrex30 or the oregon450 for the same price? if you had to make a choice which one? cheers

I'd go with the Oregon for two reasons:
1. Larger screen makes for much more readable map display.
2. Touch screen allows to much easier name the waypoints and naming them helps you (later) relate each waypoint to a particular find. You can still name waypoints in the eTrex. It's just easier done with the Oregon.

BTW. This is where Minelab completely missed the boat with the CTX's GPS - it does not allow for changing find/waypoint names in the field!

Obviously, all of the above is just my personal opinion. YMMV