Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PADI or SSI

Overvoltage

PADI or SSI, which certification is the better of the two? I am hopefully going to get certified this spring/summer to check off a bucket list item. I have access to both and was wondering which of the two certifications was better and why.

I have PADI and my Sister has SSI. when comparing notes they were about the same. (of course that was 20 years ago)

I'd go talk to whoever instructs at both places. You'll know which one to attend after that. Be careful spending out the wazoo for stuff you might end up putting on Craigslist a year later. You should only have to buy a mask and fins to get certified. If your only gonna dive a couple times after that it's a hell of a lot cheaper to rent or of course buy off of someone on Craigslist that jumped in too early.

I qualified way back in 74. Qualified NAUI as that was the only course available at that time where I was in Puerto Rico. At that particular time NAUI was much stricter on what was required than the others.

It took a number of weeks and open ocean dives to meet the requirements. When I moved back to the states I sold all my gear as I did not want to dive in waters that I might have at most three feet of visibility. Especially after diving in waters that had upwards of 150 feet of visibility.

Good Luck and enjoy the sport as it opens an entirely new world to be viewed.

Overvoltage said:
PADI or SSI, which certification is the better of the two? I am hopefully going to get certified this spring/summer to check off a bucket list item. I have access to both and was wondering which of the two certifications was better and why.

The dive shop I use used to be PADI but a few years ago they switched over to SSI. The instructors felt that they had better educational standards than PADI. My original certs were with PADI but my recent ones are SSI - basically everything is transferable. Its kinda hard to say from my point of view if SSI is actually better but since the instructors seem to feel that way I'm inclined to trust them.

-pete

Ok, I get this discussion a lot. First of all I am a seasoned PADI MSDT Instructor. Second... All organizations Padi, SSI, Naui and more, are all excellent professional organizations that will all get you to where you want to go, they just use different course structures. If you find a company who says differently then consider that a "Red Flag". I find the big difference is in the Instructors themselves. Don't hesitate to "interview" your selection of Instructors, one that you will feel comfortable learning with. I have witnessed and also sadly been involved in operations who don't take the time teach at "your pace". This is something you should take your time to do safely and correctly. And to have fun while doing of course.
Now with that said, this is my opinion... ask yourself why you want to scuba.... I know you are a Metal Detecting Hobbyist... If you are planning on taking lessons just to get the deep stuff, instead of loving the sport of Scuba first, then you are more than likely wasting your time. Scuba is fun, exciting and don't forget challenging.... add the skill of metal detecting at the same time and now it mostly becomes work. Work with big rewards perhaps... but yes work.
Now before you guys jump all over me, again this is only my opinion from a professional point of view. Love Scuba first.... then add your hobby.

Good luck on your path to the greatest sport on the world. Not until you are a diver will you understand this.

Cheers.

PS I am down south right now killing the local beaches on Snorkel Gear... the few times I used Scuba gear = big goose egg.......... 7 gold 1 plat in three weeks:

Great info regarding CL gear and diving/detecting advice..:clapping:

.I'm PADI cert. since 96..not that that really means anything, I was mainly the gear donkey and boat handler for the Wife and Daughter...Something Scubapirate mentioned is the amount of physical WORK involved!

A person has to be in really great shape and able to lift and load heavy gear, let alone squeeze into a wetsuit! I am considering this cautiously, I would like to dive old jump off sites and raft anchors and detect, problem is, as you all know, most times you will be all by yourself unless you can find a dive buddy similarly inclined...my Daughter and Wife are not cool at all with this...so I am treading gently and have not committed yet...evaluating the risk/reward/expense/effort dynamic....I might rent gear and give it a go to see...If I do, it will be later in the Summer after all the boat traffic is gone and I will be in tremendous shape from miles of beach work...:thumbup:

It sure is a whole lot easier to beach hunt and wade, and as you all know, that is some tough duty too...scuba would be x5 I figure..:shrug:
Mud

Ok, this is gonna piss the scuba guys off. Have you ever hard of a hooka. I have one. It's made by Octopumps I think. The whole set up is slightly more than what an excal goes for new. It's basically a honda motor with a compressor mounted on it. The hoses come in 50 foot lengths. It comes with a covered inner tube that everything floats on. I dive mostly where boats anchor up and party so it is perfect. You basically put the regulator in your mouth and you are diving. Believe me, it is a lot of work detecting underwater but you have no gear to worry about except the standard knife, weight belt, mask, and fins. I found out I like picking up costa del mar sunglasses, watches, iPhones, etc on the bottom instead of busting my ass digging pennies and pull tabs. You don't have to be certified but for prace of mind you really should be. I seldom dive over ten feet. What is nice, I go when I want to go and not when the scuba shop is open in order to fill my tanks. After one dive around a sandbar finding ten pairs of sunglasses and 2 anchors my son gave me a fist bump and said "Dad, this is the coolest toy you've ever bought". My entire family loves it and my friend always ask me when are we going again. Food for thought.

dobbratacus, My plan is to eventually get a hookah setup but I feel it is important to learn the basics first by getting certified and what scubapirate said, enjoy the hobby/sport of diving first. After I get a season or so of just diving to make sure I know what I am doing, I will introduce the detector.

Scubapirate, I definately understand what you are saying about why to SCUBA, and I agree that it isnt just about being able to detect underwater. Its about exploring a whole new world. I just want to make sure I am doing it right so I dont become a statistic. I know it sounds a little anal but I have completed the SSI online classes and read the Navy Dive Manual and im not even signed up for lessons yet. I just want to know all I can so I can be prepared.

Mud, may be someday in the future we can meet up and do some diving/exploring/detecting.

Hookah diving is about as safe as one can be and still be able to stay down for just about as long as you'd like. The most I've ever stayed down is about ten minutes cuz it gets cold and I can easily go back without worrying about all that gear. Never panic, never hold your breath and you'll be fine with a hookah. Since I'm always relatively shallow I love it a hell of a lot more than scuba and it works for me.

dobbratacus said:
Ok, this is gonna piss the scuba guys off. Have you ever hard of a hooka. I have one. It's made by Octopumps I think. The whole set up is slightly more than what an excal goes for new. It's basically a honda motor with a compressor mounted on it. The hoses come in 50 foot lengths. It comes with a covered inner tube that everything floats on. I dive mostly where boats anchor up and party so it is perfect. You basically put the regulator in your mouth and you are diving. Believe me, it is a lot of work detecting underwater but you have no gear to worry about except the standard knife, weight belt, mask, and fins. I found out I like picking up costa del mar sunglasses, watches, iPhones, etc on the bottom instead of busting my ass digging pennies and pull tabs. You don't have to be certified but for prace of mind you really should be. I seldom dive over ten feet. What is nice, I go when I want to go and not when the scuba shop is open in order to fill my tanks. After one dive around a sandbar finding ten pairs of sunglasses and 2 anchors my son gave me a fist bump and said "Dad, this is the coolest toy you've ever bought". My entire family loves it and my friend always ask me when are we going again. Food for thought.

No, I can see the merit of a hooka setup, though it may not buy you too much around here in gear reduction. Ok, the tank is a given and the regulator together are what? about 45 pounds? But we use 7mm suits here and for somebody my size (pushin' 240#) the lead load is gettin' real close to 40# (I used 43# when I had a 2-piece suit). So, if I subtract 45# from my normal total of 110# that is what? 65# - no problema, total cakewalk! Note, I would still use a BC for safety even though I wouldn't be mounting a tank on it. :super:

-pete

I see your point with the gear. I use my hookah once I get to a spot in my boat. I've never once used it in saltwater. I'm too scared of all the other things sharing the bottom with me. When I anchor up the hookah goes over the side and we use the boat as base. One can walk and detect the other one, or three can go off with the hookah and play or hunt. Like I said, just my opinion but it works for me.

Valid points to consider! I will say this..If you decide to go Scuba, and get really good at it and are a hoover like me, you need 6 tanks ($)...(just to get through one weekend)..and that means you will be hanging around the dive shop a lot to wait to get them filled at their mercy, and if you hang around the dive shop a lot, you WILL get put to work by the proprietor!..:rofl:...Or, you can get 3 tanks, and your own compressor ($) and fill them at home every night....or you could buy the dive shop to have access to all the gear, and consequently never dive again...

Or you could get a Hookah rig and POSSIBLY make some pay...?.

When I lived on the Tennessee River, just South of Huntsville, there were a LOT of Hookah divers...these were some big rough Men who were after freshwater mussel shells...commercial enterprise...those shells were machined into pills and used in the Asian Pearl Industry as implants into oysters for them to grow a pearl around...Anyway, these big crappy guys had big crappy Jon boats pulled by big crappy trucks, their Hookah systems were homebuilt cobbled up bastard rigs made out of lawnmower engines and garage sale carpenters air compressors using the off the shelf shop air lines etc...could probably buy the Whole deal from Harbor Freight for $150...their 'diving suits' were of a similar vintage, all duct taped up to be damned, of various materials...These guys would get on a known shell bed and go over the side wearing a massive amount of weight, no fins, just boots, and they would scuttle along the bottom harvesting mussel shells and towing their boat behind them where their Hookah rig chugged along..20' down or more....They would stay down for hours in all weather and seasons to pull as many shells as they could..like I said, these guys were in it for the money..it was not a hobby at all....

Sometimes, on the boat, there would sit a skinny old tosspot in advanced stage cirossis, an indentured servant who was pulled fresh off a barstool, sitting there idly smoking, daydreaming, and looking bored...I assume these guys job was to make sure the Briggs and Stratton kept a full tank of gas, and perhaps to keep other shell divers from sneaking up and stealing the days bags of shells from an unmonitored boat?..

Anyway..A guy has to weigh all these issues from a feasibility and economic standpoint.. want to find massive gold as fast and cheap as possible....Scuba or Hookah? In the long run, its probably easier and cheaper to find a willing tosspot, crappy boat, crappy truck, gas powered construction air compressor from some roofer who went out of business, than go with tanks and get pressed into service at the Dive shop, even though they have better bumper stickers and generally a better view...Scuba folk like clear vis, hookah rig boys dont give a damn, just scuttle and harvest down in the cold dark...:shrug:....probably the best ROI thing to do is to be the 'topside tosspot' for a Hookah diver!..Yeah!...If something mechanically catastrophic goes awry, at least you can leave the scene with a truck and a boat and could possibly sell that compressor to a house roofer on your way back to the bar! :rofl: Good thing is your Boss is dead, and with all that weight he was sporting, will never be found...so keep that in mind as an incentive,....:thumbup:
Mud

Wow, Mud! . . . I don't even know what to say about all that! I've seen some pretty "ghetto" scuba setups but that is in a whole 'nother league! :shrug:

-pete

Yea, that sounds a little scary to me. Im not that adventurous. Don't get me wrong, i think hookah diving is a way to go for maximizing detecting time. I just think getting certified so I know the basics should come first.

So will a PADI/SSI dive shop/resort honor each others certification?

A dive shop will recognize any Scuba Certification. It does not matter if it is Naui, Padi or SSI. I could take my1974 era qualification card and get tanks filled today.

Yes, not only should they honor them for air fills and gear sales but also as the equivalent prerequisite for another certification (higher level or specialty). :nerd:

-pete

It doesn't matter which agencys certification card you carry. What matters is the instruction you get. There are good, great, and not so good instructiors in all agencys. You should go to your local dive shop, or wherever you plan to get instruction, and talk to the instructor. Ask some questions, and you should get a good feel, about whether he, or she, has there act together. I have been certified as an instructor by both PADI, and SSI .
Good Luck.

Well, I am taking the plunge with SSI. My wife had asked what I wanted for my birthday, I said SCUBA lessons. She looked at me and said really? Well, while I was at work last week, she met with the Master Instructor at the local dive shop and she felt comfortable enough with him that she signed me up for the open water course as a birthday gift. That says alot about him. I start April 18. I am excited about this new journey. My son has offered up his GoPro to document it. Hopefully I will have some good pics and stories to share.