Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Park Hunters....a little heads up for you...or... are you now scratching your head ?

Elmy

Pocket spills....more than one coin in a hole....we have all dug them....but try this.
Place a quarter on the ground, coin id 46-47 co...now add a nickel beside it , touching it if you like...
What has happened to your coin id now? Does your pattern you use all the time in the park even hit that quarter?
Take any coin of your choice and try this with a nickel... see what coin id you get.....can you call the target what it should be ?
Any other combination of coins should be detectable...but throw a nickel or two in the mix, all in one hole, or pocket spill.
So how confident are you now of your chosen park hunting pattern ???

E L M Y

My brother SL52 and I were hunting a couple of weeks back, he comes walking over and he had a nickel and another coin that I don't remember what it was. He was running his F5 and he said he found them in one hole. I told him that the nickel was why nobody else had found that. So he goes back to his hole and I get back to detecting, about that time he comes high stepping it back my way. Now he side he checked that hole and pulled a Standing Liberty Quarter out of the same hole.

I will give the above coin nickel test a try on my E-Trac and see what needs to opened or closed.

Another thanks to Elmy.

Ron in WV

My brother SL52 and I were hunting a couple of weeks back, he comes walking over and he had a nickel and another coin that I don't remember what it was. He was running his F5 and he said he found them in one hole. I told him that the nickel was why nobody else had found that. So he goes back to his hole and I get back to detecting, about that time he comes high stepping it back my way. Now he side he checked that hole and pulled a Standing Liberty Quarter out of the same hole.

I will give the above coin nickel test a try on my E-Trac and see what needs to opened or closed.

Another thanks to Elmy.

Ron in WV
Ron in WV...
Your brothers experience with the nickel and SLQ echo's my experience with the nickel and silver rosy in my post "digging all that iron"....in a few tests I have done after finding the rosy, the nickel does in fact
affect any coins in the same area by throwing the tone and the id both off....You can check this for yourselves if you want....these two experiences may open our eyes as to what a pocket spill does with nickels in the mix.
Thanks for the reply...
E L M Y

Ron in WV...
Your brothers experience with the nickel and SLQ echo's my experience with the nickel and silver rosy in my post "digging all that iron"....in a few tests I have done after finding the rosy, the nickel does in fact
affect any coins in the same area by throwing the tone and the id both off....You can check this for yourselves if you want....these two experiences may open our eyes as to what a pocket spill does with nickels in the mix.
Thanks for the reply...
E L M Y
great advice. Thanks for the tip

Ron in WV...
Thanks for the reply...
E L M Y
that famous pull tab we all find does the same thing as a nickel does to any coin...any pull tab near a coin makes the coins id off......
So if there could be a pull tab or a nickel anywhere near that silver quarter , you may miss it.
And that explains your brothers SLQ surviving in the wild for at least 40 years of being sweep over by detectors.

Last edited:
Just did a backyard test.... oh man. CTX is way off too.

The nickel took the SLQ to an 8 31 on the etrac. I still would have dug it, but in soil... no idea what that number would be.

The only way to find the silver was to do the minelab 'wiggle' at all 4 points of the compass-- as long as they are not on top of each other.

Just did a backyard test.... oh man. CTX is way off too.

The nickel took the SLQ to an 8 31 on the etrac. I still would have dug it, but in soil... no idea what that number would be.

The only way to find the silver was to do the minelab 'wiggle' at all 4 points of the compass-- as long as they are not on top of each other.
Told you....Just a wakeup call for all the explorer series detectors I would imagine.....who would ever call an 8-31 a quarter ???
I will give it a test tomorrow on a coin in the wild hunt.

I call them Benders because they will undoubtedly pull your Number ID's down. In a lot of situations ferrous/coke presence can do the same. Thanks for visiting this subject again, oh by the way the Nox is affected as well. JMO
Several years ago my buddy and I were hunting an old church yard with ctx's he asked me to check his target before digging. I told him it was an indian he swore it was a wheatie, after digging the score was 2 indians and 2 wheaties in a spill. We just had different angles of approach.
HH Jeff

I call them Benders because they will undoubtedly pull your Number ID's down. In a lot of situations ferrous/coke presence can do the same. Thanks for visiting this subject again, oh by the way the Nox is affected as well. JMO
Several years ago my buddy and I were hunting an old church yard with ctx's he asked me to check his target before digging. I told him it was an indian he swore it was a wheatie, after digging the score was 2 indians and 2 wheaties in a spill. We just had different angles of approach.
HH Jeff
I could see that target being called either way....but if there would have been a nickel in the mix, the co number would have been into the low 20's.
You would have had to call the target as a copper nickel Indian penny or a Flying cent or even a 2-1/2 gold piece...it would have been around a 22 co number with a nickel bender in there with the pennies.
The nickel or a pull tab would have shifted the pocket spill that far off it's normal coins id.

Not sure why this seems so confusing, it's physics.
Any combination of coins will either up-average of down-average depending on what's involved.
One quarter will be one signal, two will be higher and three higher still...same with multiples of other coin types.
A quarter and a dime will be lower than a quarter but higher than a dime, a combination of both.
Add a nickel to a higher coin guess what, it will average out between them.
I have dug tons of different coin spills in my time with a few different detectors and this has always held true no matter what kind of combinations I have come across.
The one thing they all had in common was if they were close they were all solid signals no matter what the ultimate number was, number one reason I always dig solid signals no matter where they are.
If coins are a bit more spread out but still near each other you can get multiple signals which can be considered more iffy and jumpy but close together for me always solid.
Combine trash with coins the same thing might happen, a solid combination signal...or it might not because trash combos with coins could be more iffy but coin combos for me have always been solid with a little bit of coil manipulation to zero in accurately.
Maybe not at common coin numbers but solid.

Jkline asked me to try this test with my F75 with factory 11” DD. Thanks Jeff cuz now I have to go back and walk the entire intramural fields all over again. Ok, I know my numbers are different than you Minelab guys but as Revier noted the results are the same.
Using a 1936 quarter, a 1959 dime, a 1954 nickel, a 1942P nickel, and an unknown year buffalo nickel, I conducted the following test:
Coins placed on old cedar shingle, coil 3-4” above target. FE3O4 showed .1 and GB maintaining 70.

Quarter by itself=84-85
Dime by itself=77-78
All three nickels=30-31
Sweeping 9-3 was side to side coil movement overcoins.
Sweeping 12-6 was top to bottom coil movement over coins.
coins did not move, I did
I consider this normal numbers for those coins.

I placed the 54 nickel to the left of the quarter and scanned 9-3 on a clock dial. Numbers jumped 35-65. Repeat scanning 12-6, I was able to get a 55 reading at the heel of the coil at 12 and 65 at the head coming down at 6 so able to separate coins but numbers askew.
42P nickel same position. Scanning 9-3 numbers were 32-68 and 12-6 were 62-75.
Buffalo nickel same position. Scanning 9-3 were 32-66 and 12-6 were 57-75.

Tried same test with 1959 dime and nickels and same type results.
Tried quarter and dime together. 9-3 were 77-83 and 12-6 were 76-82.

It was interesting to note I could separate the two coins sweeping 12-6 but not 9-3. It did effect the numbers by having them together side by side but not too bad above/below.

Whom ever suggested this test needs to be taken out and coil whipped. Lol

Put a paper clip right beside a coin, it will make your readings go hay wire.
In my opinion this topic is exactly why you need to hunt good areas from at least two different directions and honestly that may not be enough, more like four different directions would probably be better.
The low hanging fruit is pretty much gone now we have to really work for that masked and deep silver.

Thanks Ron. We need the exercise anyway!
Put a paper clip right beside a coin, it will make your readings go hay wire.
In my opinion this topic is exactly why you need to hunt good areas from at least two different directions and honestly that may not be enough, more like four different directions would probably be better.
The low hanging fruit is pretty much gone now we have to really work for that masked and deep silver.
You seem to have it figured out....THE SLQ you found was a coin that had to have been passed over many times before you brought it back to light !
CONGATS ON THAT FIND !

E L M Y

Jkline asked me to try this test with my F75 with factory 11” DD. Thanks Jeff cuz now I have to go back and walk the entire intramural fields all over again. Ok, I know my numbers are different than you Minelab guys but as Revier noted the results are the same.
Using a 1936 quarter, a 1959 dime, a 1954 nickel, a 1942P nickel, and an unknown year buffalo nickel, I conducted the following test:
Coins placed on old cedar shingle, coil 3-4” above target. FE3O4 showed .1 and GB maintaining 70.

Quarter by itself=84-85
Dime by itself=77-78
All three nickels=30-31
Sweeping 9-3 was side to side coil movement overcoins.
Sweeping 12-6 was top to bottom coil movement over coins.
coins did not move, I did
I consider this normal numbers for those coins.

I placed the 54 nickel to the left of the quarter and scanned 9-3 on a clock dial. Numbers jumped 35-65. Repeat scanning 12-6, I was able to get a 55 reading at the heel of the coil at 12 and 65 at the head coming down at 6 so able to separate coins but numbers askew.
42P nickel same position. Scanning 9-3 numbers were 32-68 and 12-6 were 62-75.
Buffalo nickel same position. Scanning 9-3 were 32-66 and 12-6 were 57-75.

Tried same test with 1959 dime and nickels and same type results.
Tried quarter and dime together. 9-3 were 77-83 and 12-6 were 76-82.

It was interesting to note I could separate the two coins sweeping 12-6 but not 9-3. It did effect the numbers by having them together side by side but not too bad above/below.

Whom ever suggested this test needs to be taken out and coil whipped. Lol
E L M Y DID IT......I confess !

1601491777401.png

Pocket spills....more than one coin in a hole....we have all dug them....but try this.
Place a quarter on the ground, coin id 46-47 co...now add a nickel beside it , touching it if you like...
What has happened to your coin id now? Does your pattern you use all the time in the park even hit that quarter?
Take any coin of your choice and try this with a nickel... see what coin id you get.....can you call the target what it should be ?
Any other combination of coins should be detectable...but throw a nickel or two in the mix, all in one hole, or pocket spill.
So how confident are you now of your chosen park hunting pattern ???

E L M Y
SO where is that magic window that the nickels mask coins show up on the etrac ?

Just my guess .....but this area is where I would load up for a trial....I would get out but am too busy so folks, give this masked coin window a shot. A silver coin could fall into this window almost anywhere !

nickel masked coins.jpg

Last edited:
SO where is that magic window that the nickels mask coins show up on the etrac ?

Just my guess .....but this area is where I would load up for a trial....I would get out but am too busy so folks, give this masked coin window a shot. A silver coin could fall into this window almost anywhere !

View attachment 7566
One other tip on this pattern.....don't pass on a target that seems to be too large to be a coin....
I have told this story a hundred times at least in the past and here it is again... A long time ago I hit a good solid target , but it was rather long so I passed on it and continued on detecting....
about 15 minutes later I got a shout from a young kid with a dfx....he had hit that same target I passed on and by the time I got over to him he had 3 walkers and 2 standing liberty quarters from the hole lying on the ground...He was digging them up with a table spoon so I handed him my digger and he continued to pull buffalo's ...mercs....washington quarters...and I was happy for him but was I also disappointed at myself...I can still remember his first shouts to this day...Hey, I found a cache !
A pocket spill of this sort may be a little spread out and way to large to be a coin...you may think it is a pop can or pipe...but investigate it....you could be that kid with a pocket full of silver from one dig.

GO GET "EM

E L M Y

So essentially use Andy S's program, and pretty much dig everything. Kinda like I've been doing, on the hunt for those sweet gold rings.

I guess one has to decide the level of trash they want to dig compared to the small chance of silver pocket spills or gold rings in your local park.

Oh man, your anecdote is unforgettable-- if I were Citizen Kane I'd be mumbling, 'Coin hoard!' on my death bed.