Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pattern for Gold Rings

Bishop2012

Quick Question:
Since I have never found one myself I was curious what patterns you guys have seen on the screen when you are over a ring. I know they are mostly in the foil range for TID but do they look solid like a coin or more of the dispersed pattern?

Thanks!

Not sure if you want to hear this but im going to say it.
1st be in an area where there are gold rings. 2nd I do not hunt gold by patterns usually as I actually open my screen up as much as I can stand it. And third, dig. Dig Alot.

You can get Andys program for gold out of his book if you are hunting sites with lots of other targets and want to minimize digging. Im of a mind now that its better to hit you loacation first with an open discrimination pattern and then after you find targets that bug the heck out of you then make an ANTI program to block the crap your hitting alot. Gold comes in all over but if you want to focus on all the most likely gold targets then yes a pattern will do but keep in mind if there is gold there then there is gold in all kinds of shape and mix as well and you will just hit the most likely.

I have to say again. this is if the place is not littered with all kind of crap then use a pattern. But if you can, open up your discrim alot and let your brain do the thinking of what to dig. In one old area I hunt ( with no pultabs or few) I have found over 70 gold rings, and a gold coin, that many of came in way out of what I would of expected the number to read, but I focus on depth of object and sound then VDI number is almost meaningless in this situation at first or until I dig it up a bit.

If your newer to the machine, try a program at first, if you start finding gold in a spot you know there is more gold in then open your discrim up. and trust the depth, the fine target point on screen, and a good sounding target.

Hope that helped but Its very hard to tell about this unless you right there and I swing you over the targets im checking. I dig alot of trash too I should say, but I know the gold will come eventually.

good luck.
Shov.

Thanks much! Great response even though I think I used the wrong terminology. I usually hunt with an open screen but I was actually asking what the target point looked like. Was it tight like a coin or scattered like a piece of trash.

That depends on the type of jewerly. Rings normally dont have a great deal of smear and more of a solid tone........ things like crosses and earrings may not. As a beach hunter i dont agree most fall in the foil range, density, size,depth and near targets has a great deal to do with how they register.

Dew

I'm not one of the experts on gold rings, but I believe that they show up near the 12 line between 1 and the mid 30's.(12-01 thru 12-3x) Gold gets alloyed with a lot of different metals in jewelry which mostly causes this.
And that's before all those other factors that Dew mentioned take effect.

I've only found 4 gold rings, one pinky ring, 2 wedding bands, one monster ring. All of them had a definite bulls-eye hit with a solid sound. Similar to a nickel. I was using the typical "Beach Mode" (screen one) with deep turned off, fast turned on, seawater on, low trash selected.
Mike

Seeing this post again ill expand a bit more.
Yes the gold rings will be mostly on the 12 line and most Ive found are between 12 9 and 12 36. That being said, the small bands with diamonds in them are in the 12 1 12 9 range. diamonds can be worth more than gold so ... there is the hitch. The big rings are easy to find if your also digging for old coins.

NOw that I've said that here are some exceptions; IF the target is deep or sideways, then just like coins, the first number may not be on the 12 line at first or until you dig it out a bit. This may confuse you to think its junk as anything at first may look far different than the air test numbers.

Here is my order of checking for rings. 1 sound...very important as i believe Gold and silver sound good or better than junk. clear and sharp unless buried next to something else or very thin or VERY deep. 2. look at the screen indication next, is it small and sharp and round? if it is and sounds good then I dig for sure. iF it is iffy sound and still sharp and round anywhere on the 12 line I still check. yes I get quite a bit of junk but I also get surprised in a good way too.

ONce again, Im in a place where there are lost rings to begin with AND IT IS EASY TO DIG, ..IF i were in a school yard I would be more selective in the digging.

For some other notes to you;

The other day I open up my discrim completely. I was surprised to get a 1 18 jumping to 1 38 signal and around that, but I had a sharp circle and broken sound and a depth maxed sign. I dug off 12 inches (Im using the 17 inch CTX loop) and when I check again I get a very clear 12 35 signal. I dig it out down to 16 inches or more and ...WALAH. I get a great surprise. normally I would not dig a broken signal ranging in numbers so much but when you take some dirt off the top then the number and sound get better as you get closer.

OK enough talk. hope it helps.