Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Peale, Pennsylvania the "Utopian" Mining Town

Charles B

latitude 40.998 and longitude -78.081 The elevation is 1,296 feet. Peale appears on the Black Moshannon U.S. Geological Survey Map. Clearfield County is in the Eastern Time Zone (UTC -5 hours)

Peale was a Clearfield Bituminous Coal Company (CBC) company town. Bids for building the town were due in May 1883. Construction was under way by July and by December, 100 houses had been built. Peale had a post office by March 1884. Immigrants arrived in bunches, with Swedes joining the Scotch and Irish. Slovaks, fewer in number, arrived a bit later (most Slovaks settled closer to the Grassflat mines). Almost overnight the woods had been transformed into a town with as many as 2,000 residents. All of this was possible due to the coming of the railroad and the opening of the mines.

Peale was once a coal company town of over 200 buildings erected by the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Company in the early 1880's. However, around the turn of the century, the coal mines were exhausted. The town existed for a few more years as the occupants continued to mine clay for making bricks. But then in the early 1900's, the whole town, every house, church, school house, and store were loaded onto railroad cars and transported to other locations. The former town of Peale, in Cooper Township, Clearfield County, is today nothing more than wooded hillsides beside the Red Moshannon Creek. The only thing left behind, along the dirt streets are two frame buildings, a cemetery with one surviving marker, dozens of stone foundations, a town well and the remains of the Peal swimming pool.

The town is built on a hill, at the base of which is Moravian Run, a branch of the Moshannon. It is divided into two parts by a small stream which runs into Moravian Run. The place is laid out with all the regularity of a city. Down in the ravine at the foot of the town are the slaughter houses, while all the stables in the place drain into the little steam which runs through the center. Far up above this on Moravian Run a dam has been built where ice is cut in the winter and stored in a house close by. A reservoir is on top of the hill back of town and distributing mains convey pure water into every street and from there to every house in the place.

Across the valley created by Moravian Run are the miner

Hi Kayden and Billpa.

Thanks forcoming back. Have you heard from Doug or Surg? Have them stop in if you get a chance.

Thanks

I'm heading to Peale, Pa in the morning. I found another map that shows additional dwellings and shops right at the old mines as well as coke ovens at the next town down the tracks. Organized a very quick trip tonight on short notice. Hoping the 4x4 can get us in there or at least pretty close; there are no real roads. We have 1 foot of snow on the ground and the temp will be 25-30 degrees. We also got a picture of the ball field (aerial photo 1937 from penn pilot). Little by little this huge town is giving up its secrets. With over 120 foundations counted so far we could hunt this place for the next 3 years. 5 guys from American Ghost Town Hunters are going out on this trip (2 trucks). I'll be posting pictures/video of what we find.

Well.....Another GOOD Hunt.:beers:
3 Indian Heads...ZeroSurg, Padawan and Billpa each found one.
1 1890 V-Nickel found by Padawan

Find of the Day
Kayden Strikes GOLD!!!
Kayden found a beautiful and large gold ring. Way to go Kayden!
He also found some interesting dinnerware.

We had a great time at Peale today. Steve Fox was able to hunt with the group....welcome Steve and thanks for going out with us.
We accomplished some research today....discovered where the Tunnel Mines were, found the spur line from the Beechcreek Railroad and found the old foundation of the engineers bunkhouse. Unfortunately any ruins of the dwellings and shop that were at the mine are gone. The area has been strip mined.

American Ghost Town Hunters are really doing pretty well this season. It's only February and here is the running total. There's actually more but this is the good stuff!
12 Indian Heads
24 V-Nickels
2 Buffalo Nickels
1 1889 Seated Dime
1 Large Gold Ring
Emeralds, Amethyst, Quartz
10 Arrow Heads
Assorted wheaties and clad

Lots of relics
Pictures will be posted soon!
Thanks guys for a great day!

Great day at Peale.
Kayden's gold ring was the highlight.
Adam found a V-Nickel and an Indian Head. These were his first finds of the year.
ZeroSurg found another Indian Head.
Billpa found an Indian Head.
Steve Fox found lots of cool relics.

I got to do some research.

Great pics Harry ....Thanks for doing all you do for the group!

To bad this didnt happen every weekend ....I could do this full time!

Many congrats to you all on the finds.
Especially the gold.

That gold ring is remarkable. A few like that can self fund a great hobby. I will definitely joining this bunch again. It was a win - win, I got to get out and meet a bunch of great people and when I got home the ceiling was painted! :clapping:

Here is the town in 1890