Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

People getting ticked off

afieldsne

I know there are strong opinions about this pasttime we all enjoy here, but.... maybe try to educate kindly vs. chewing people out. For instance, that guy that doesn't know how to cut a hole, so he doesn't leave a mess behind. Maybe we need to start a stronger campaign for people getting their first detector. Keep the message simple, like how to cut a clean hole, pick up all the junk, don't dig at cemetarys. That last one was a semi joke. Anyway, my point really is that I've read some pretty negative comments on here, then I've gone and read all of the comments from that person and found most of them to be negative. I could see how that would be counter productive.
What do I know.

I lost about 80% of my sites the last year are two. Some is people with shovels new and old. And some is just to many people doing it nowadays so flying under the radar is impossible anymore. That is why I'm negative sometimes,But you would be too if you lost 80% of your sites. I think in 5 years from now no public property's will allow metal detecting.So all the manufactures better make and sell as many detectors as they can as hard times are to follow. These metal detecting show's they Sponser are going to cut there own throat.JMHO.

I tend to agree with you, Harold.
The "old" days of under the radar are gone.

We now must make the hobby respectable and at the same time, transparent.
Gone are the days of being on the sly.

Can we get all hobbyists to agree?
Odds at against it. But we gotta try.

Meanwhile, don't sell your fishing gear, just yet.

OK, right or wrong, i'll bring this up once more, its shows like diggers that mesmerize and compel the masses, some with no common sense, to go out and buy a detector. According to the law of averages, there will be some/most newbies that leave uncovered or messy holes that will ruin detecting for all.

Once that '[size=large]No Metal Detecting[/size]' sign goes up, it ain't gonna come down.

Sadly, I agree with the above comments, the days of detecting under the radar are rapidly coming to a close.

I have to Agree. The Show's will kill this Great Hobby of Ur's. Just like in California did on Dregging. . Next thing be the Parks already happen this yr by me. Hunted this park for last to yrs. I live about 2 miles outside the township. So i wen to get my free permission card this year couple weeks ago they said i couldn't have 1. Counsel voted only a resident could have one.

"These metal detecting show's they Sponser are going to cut there own throat."

On the face of it , I would agree that the shows aren't helping us, but have you had anyone tell you no and say anything about the tv shows? I've run into a few people lately that have seen the current show and they agree that all the antics are just ridiculous. For one, I'm kind of glad about the antics, because the few people I've run into seem to realize that the whole thing is for entertainment purposes, mainly because of those antics in front of the camera. If they were more serious I think people would get the idea that we're all making those kinds of great finds and that if we want to look in their field or yard, something great must be there. But, I haven't run into any of that yet.

Sometimes it's not bad holes or anything like that. Some people just like telling other people what they can and can not do. The World is full of them.

tabman

tabman said:
Sometimes it's not bad holes or anything like that. Some people just like telling other people what they can and can not do. The World is full of them.
tabman

That wasn't the case just a few decades ago. So what has changed in the recent years?
The country is now full of intolerant people including politicians and bureaucrats with a healthy dose of extreme political correctness all brainwashed by and maintained by the main stream media.

Seems like every news day; don't do this, don't eat that, don't drink that, don't smoke that, don't use incandescent light bulbs, on and on.
And now, don't detect here!
The elitist inspired nanny state with its dumbing down agenda has finally arrived. The word LIBERTY on our coins is becoming meaningless.

Having said that, it is also bad holes dug by people with absolutely no common sense and no respect for public property.
Seen and had to fix them bad holes over the years more times than i care to remember.
The visibility of bad holes and swarms of people invading public parks these days with metal detectors and shovels in hand, is just the ammunition the politicians and bureaucrats need to keep their phony baloney jobs.

As if finding a place to hunt, and all the skills required to learn how to detect isnt hard enough...seems an important part of being successful in this endeavor is securing hunting property, in liew of that, a fellow has to learn how get into and out of areas without being seen or attracting attention...which is a good skill and a challenge, creates situational awareness, a sense of timing, a spidey sense that tells a guy when its "time to leave this party"...all are skills that could be acquired and employed by us to keep doing what we do..since this is a public forum, a fellow is hesitant to advise disregarding posted signs.
Mud

There is an old couple that owns a farm not far from me and all the buildings are early 1800s hand hewn log built. I asked permission to detect the property and share the finds. The old man said sure but would discuss it with his wife. She said there was no way anyone was getting on her property with a GEIGER counter. Tried to explain and demonstrate but to no avail. The old man said to stay in touch and if she dies first come on down. I just told this story because it seems to fit the topic. Both of them are doing fine in their 90s. HH :minelab::fisher::teknetics:

I hate it when the man says " I'll have to ask 'the boss'. Make a decision, man. If you don't want me to hunt your property, say it...don't hide behind your wife to get out of, or put off answering the question.

Being primarily a park hunter these days...
However, the few i've asked to hunt their property have said either 'go ahead i don't care' OR a stern NO. No undecisive in-betweens so far.
I think if someone puts off an instant decision to give permission its likely to end up a NO.
Unless its a virgin detected property with excellent potential, I'd forget that property and move on to a 'go ahead i don't care'.

I just had to share what happened to me a few weeks ago. I looked forward to the weekend to get here and made my plans on where to hunt. I decided on a school that was built in the 20's that I had not hunted in years, most of the grass playground looked the same but a little smaller do to the school add on. I had found a few clads .and been hunting about a hour when a police car pulled up and asked what I was doing. With a big smile on my face I showed him the coins I found, no expression on his face. He talked on his radio, two more police pulled up and I was placed in the back of his police car. I was afraid and not sure what I did. I have been hunting since 1972, I am 60 years old and not much of a threat. They came to the car and said I was trespassing and unless I had written permission I was breaking the law. I said I was sorry ( for enjoying my hobby) they told me to get in my truck and leave. I was thankful I didn't go to jail or loose my detector, when I got home I told my wife I wanted to give up. I am still detecting but looking over my shoulder, I know times change but each year places get more limited. I hope in the years to come things don't get worst, after what happened to me it's not the same and not as much fun.:thumbdown:

That didn't even happen to me and I am really annoyed things could go down like that...

Wow rodbuster, sorry to hear that!!:veryangry: Sadly I to keep a watchful eye, and try to keep a low profile as much as I can.

rodbuster said:
I just had to share what happened to me a few weeks ago. I looked forward to the weekend to get here and made my plans on where to hunt. I decided on a school that was built in the 20's that I had not hunted in years, most of the grass playground looked the same but a little smaller do to the school add on. I had found a few clads .and been hunting about a hour when a police car pulled up and asked what I was doing. With a big smile on my face I showed him the coins I found, no expression on his face. He talked on his radio, two more police pulled up and I was placed in the back of his police car. I was afraid and not sure what I did. I have been hunting since 1972, I am 60 years old and not much of a threat. They came to the car and said I was trespassing and unless I had written permission I was breaking the law. I said I was sorry ( for enjoying my hobby) they told me to get in my truck and leave. I was thankful I didn't go to jail or loose my detector, when I got home I told my wife I wanted to give up. I am still detecting but looking over my shoulder, I know times change but each year places get more limited. I hope in the years to come things don't get worst, after what happened to me it's not the same and not as much fun.:thumbdown:
The same happened to me, although I was spared a tour of the police cars' interior.

The police I encountered said there had been break ins, as justification for their ejecting me.
'When has a school NOT had break ins,' I wondered?

"Am I a suspect?" I asked.
"No."
"Then I have as much right to be here as that guy over there doing push ups." I pointed. "...are you going to force him to leave?"
"No, but you'll have to. We've had calls about you."

Ah-ha... Bingo. Some nosy citizen had turned me in by cellphone. The cops told me they had to respond. And that's how it is with cops.
If they are called, they are forced to do SOMETHING. Cops don't show up without considering the Hard Way as an option.
In my case, it was easier to be asses, than run the risk of repercussion from THEIR BOSSES for NOT getting the "suspicious detectorist" out of the school.

Both officers admitted I was doing no wrong, and was actually another set of eyes against intruders (as it happens, I knew one of them.)
But they had to respond in a way that showed they were doing their job, i.e., in a manner befitting expectations.
So it goes. No offense to cops, but they serve many masters... Often, the least of these are the citizens whose rights they supposedly protect.

I contacted both the police department and the school district later and was told that I was, indeed, within my rights to be there. They had no restrictions (at that time) against detecting.
However, both departments were siding with the officers and their decision to push me off.
"For the public good, of course. Surely you'll understand that."

"Bureaucracy is a giant machine - operated by pygmies" - Honore d'Balzac

We've reached a day and time where permission to do ANYTHING is now on everyone's mind. Detectorists are seen as pirates, plunderers, or thieves, without the all important approval. TV shows may help, or not. The ones Ive seen are still about finding "treasure" and tossing it in YOUR pouch; aka, "finders keepers." In this time, that is anti-social and viewed as suspect if not criminal. All we can do is try to build transparency into our actions and take our lumps when we must.

GKMan said:
That didn't even happen to me and I am really annoyed things could go down like that...
"All power flows from the barrel of a gun."
- Mao Zhedong

Thanks for sharing that story Rodbuster! I sincerely hope that after a little time, you will come to accept that experience you had as a part of the strange adventures that await a hunter once he leaves the house! ...its a good story! A part of the fabric of your life that though traumatic when it happened, I hope adds some excitement to you as the days go by...you have not truly pushed the edge unless you've been in the back of a cop car at least once! :thumbup: Good thing you got sent packing home and not to the Big House! Can you imagine? "whaddar ya in here for?" ...tresspassing? No, you would have to concoct a better tale to get by than that!

A good excuse, in case any of us wind up in the pokey on account of detecting would be 'money Laundering' since I'm sure you had to wash all that dirty clad anyway...:rofl:

If it ever happens to me, I will tell my jailmates "I intentionally hunted and stabbed a walker and a barber with a screwdriver, just for the hell of it, needed the excersize, and they were on my bucket list...and nailed a couple of indian fatties down at the local park!"..:rofl:
Mud