Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

people in the park?...

GoVidGo

I was detecting in a county park today with my Etrac.
Guy comes walking thru the park yelling on his cell phone in speaker mode and carrying a baby-carrier filled with Pampers and baby food. (no baby tho! I hope he didn't lose it along the way!).
He stops next to me and yells in the phone "ma! I gotta go! shut the f*ck up! I gotta go! bye!". I took off my headphones and said 'Hey there'. The fellow then puts down the baby-carrier, takes out his teeth, starts cleaning them with his shirt, and asks 'find anything?'. I replied my usual response 'just a few coins, nothing spectacular'. I use that line all the time. I don't care if I have dug the Holy Grail...in a glowing chest... and have it in a back pack... I still would use that line.
He then tells me 'Not surprising man! I hit this place a lot with my detector and found a lot of coins. probably because my detector is probably a lot better than yours.' Here's how the conversation went from there.......
ME: 'what are you swinging?'
HIM: 'I forget the name, but it's a lot smaller than yours so probably means better.'
ME: 'smaller? is it a Deus?'
HIM: 'no man! I forget but it has a needle and dial on it. I paid like $80 bucks for it!'
ME: 'is it a Bounty Hunter?'
HIM: 'yeah! that's it! get rid of that thing you got and get one of those and you'll stuff man!'
ME: 'uh... OK... I'll check them out. thanks for the info'
**his cell phone rings**
HIM 'i gotta go. cya!'
ME: 'cya'

anyone else meet some of the most annoying people while detecing? Sometimes I wonder why I take the headphones off....

All the time actually but even so, the 'normal' people outweigh the annoying one's fortunately! Every once in awhile, I'll meet a special person that makes up for all those that make stupid and annoying remarks though!!

I use the same tactic of "minimizing my finds" to deter others from picking up on the hobby, lol I guess I'm a bit greedy since the park finds here are running scarce. Yes I have met quite a few annoying people in my short time, I just don't care to be bothered while detecting, but those damn kids come running at the site of a metal detector with many questions.

For the most part I use headphones and if someone says something to me, I just pretend not to hear them :) I guess I'm kind of rude at times, but I don't care to waste my valuable detecting time for piddly conversation.

Not so bad now, but not so long ago, religious groups would surround me and start their spill, I would tell them I have a church, but theirs was better than mine. I guess I was the only one they could catch. All I could do was head for the truck and go home. I don't think they helped their cause much by bothering people.

Ron in WV

I can top it. I once had a lady ask me if I was looking for Dinosaur bones.I truly believe she was serious as she seemed very intrigued when I said yes!!! HH to all,and to all a good hunt!

My favorite time to hunt is in the early morning or late evening, or the winter. I do enjoy talking to people now and then, but everyone once in a while you get a real moron. That seems to ruin the hunt. My favorite line is have you found gold yet? Like I would tell them if I did. The second is what is the best thing you have ever found? Once again like I will tell them that either. I try to let them know this is a hobby, not a way to get rich. Most days you dig trash and pennies. Better to discourage them now then later. We don't need lame brain people digging up the parks and other places like they are prospecting for gold. Tearing up the area and setting the public against us, who enjoy detecting. I do enjoy talking to people who have a lick of common sense and want to get into the hobby for the right reasons. Lastly, the lamest conversation is I know someone who has one of those, and then they proceed to tell you some far fetched the fish was this big story about something they or that person found that makes the biggest tall tale seem weak. Usually I just prefer to hunt when no one is around.. Good luck and may everyone's future hunts be peaceful.

This is why I like to hunt at night....... can not beat it, not one person to bother you, not even the police bother me, they just drive by or park up and eat the packed meal / DD's they just purchased down the road.

I'm with BH Landstar. Last night I was out till about midnight. Found mostly clad, 8 bale seals, and a little button. Not much for about 5 hours but it was peaceful and I enjoyed it. That's all that counts.

Yea, Have you found gold yet? takes the lead for me on questions asked, and always a older couple, with the man doing the asking.

-- moved topic --

I also when asked have you found gold yet either say yea I found a pirates chest full but it was too heavy to carry,or I just tell them no some clad change & alot of trash,
,how about if you find a big diamond ring its my wifes,i either reply oh your too late
the guy over there said it was his wifes I gave it to him,or I say wow how original if I had a penny for every time I heard that
I would be a millionaire,I guess I am sarcastic to,(but it gets old)HH

Never find anything, just started, don't really know how it works.. Cya

:rofl: