Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission and Research questions

CanadaDig

Hi everyone,

Im looking forward to detecting with my new Etrac...I will have to wait till Spring but need to ask advice on the following topics so I can prepare for Spring here in Canada.

1. Research: Im planning on going to the local library here to do research. How does one start to find info. The Town I live in was established in early 1800's. I would assume I would look thru Micro Fisch for Old Newspapers on old townships etc, festival locations in past, old schools.
QUESTIONS:
A. Where do you start first to find good place to hunt?
B. What Sources do ask for?
C. What is the Best Source?
E. What is the Best location to research..Old Schools, townships, Ghost towns, Etc.

2. I have never asked a private property owner to search their land? What is the best approach? I know the worse thing that can happen is they say "No" but I just wonder how come some would allow someone to come on their property with nothing to gain? Does anyone offer them half the bounty to allow access? Im interested how someone sales themselves to the owner other than promise not to destroy their lawn?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi and Welcome, There is a overwhelming amount of information available right at your finger tips through the Internet. I search old maps for building sites,Ghost Towns,Rail Road Depots,Churches, One Room Schools, and Fair Grounds. Many old Towns were moved or just dried up when the RR lines were built. Also in the U.S. the Assessors Office on a county level keeps records of property values and what types of structures were there. Many of these records are available on line. Some of the Metal Detecting Forums also have tips on Research and where to look for what you want to find. I haven't been to the Library yet but I may find the need. Remember it's the small out of the way places that get overlooked! Good Luck with your search!

I don't know if they have plat books in canada but in mn I use county plat books I have the very first one published from 1896 for my county. It shows every early settlement,schools,mills,and towns, ect. I also have have later plat books to show how and where things have changed. That and talking to farmers is all I use.

this is something from my personal website that i wrote up to help others:

Almost everyday I get emails and PM

Goes4ever -- thanks for the tips. I find that most of the good coin finds are in the front yard and most of the good relic finds are in the back yard. Of course there are always the exceptions. I like to hunt along the driveway and sidewalks first, then the rest of the front yard (don't forget the area between the houses).