Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Permission to Hunt?

Old Pirate

Any of you fellas have any kind of norm for hunting private property? I know here in my area (NE Ohio) you have to have some kind of carried written permit on some of the parks and recreation areas. (Or in some cases a carry permit to CYA) All of which are free for the asking, (except the carry permit) but don't get caught digging with a shovel or you're out on your ear, with a revoked permit for breaking some of the States' surface mining rules. I was thinking of making up a standard form that shows our Ethic Rules and such as well as a release of liability and a who gets what if you hit a Nitro find. So I did a draft that is kinda universal in its' approach to all types of properties and covers liability as well as rules for finds. I'll run it by my lawyer to find any holes, but it makes sense to me to be up front with property owners and lay it all out instead of knocking on doors and hoping I get permission. I mean there are so many properties in my area that are century and turn of the 18th that it makes a kind of sense to get real with these people and show them you're serious.

I won't publish it until my attorney gives it a whirl as I wouldn't want to give out the wrong info. And your States rules may differ. And I may just be an anal bozo, and this is just a hobby, but verbal and handshake agreements are a thing of the past. Those two on NG channel can't possibly drive all over the country and detect without some kind of written agreement. What are all your thoughts on this?

(and a lean past week as well here with seriously horrible weather)

HH

go there with a contract and kiss it good by. you'll scare whoever you're asking. there are some good posts on asking permission mostly you want to put people at ease. saying something like i like looking for coins and small metal objects. then you might want to show how you dig the thing out. let them tag along.

Sweepdog, do you have information that justifies your response about a contract? I'm all for your approach and have done exactly that in cases of people that I am acquainted with and relatives. But 5 out of ten strangers who I just present a card to either aren't interested or want to know what's in it for them. I very much agree that cold call is the best approach when you have a property which may yield a few significant finds, but if you do get a balk, do you have anything that will reproach it? That's basically what I'm talking about. Most people are curious enough to let you go do it after what you describe. Some have to be convinced. I know cold call is a PIA, and fun in its' own way, but the tough ones who are too disinterested may turn their tune when you show them your written requirements of actually finding things on their property with a goal of $ to their end of the bargain. I'm not Old Pirate for just nothing. A lot of people want something, not just for your interest but significantly for their own. I respect all the rules and the assumption that it's a mutual interest. If it takes a contract, and it's doable, then I think it's the correct/proper approach. Everybody winds up on the same page. Legally. And you get to detect a hot spot. In the US, and my state, the property owner owns the surface mining rights, as well as a few others, unless they sign them away exclusively through mortgage/deed arrangements. Since our hobby is basically non invasive to commercial resources, the offer to the property owner may in fact be a well spring for his benefit as well as the detectorist who was able to find anything. As far as I'm concerned, it, in the few cases that may present themselves, would be a boon to both property owners and detectorist's, as well as local historians if the finds came about. I am making the assumption your a brother detectorist in Australia. Like your guys videos. Hope that terrible brush fire ends up out! I'm not actually trying to set a precedent with a contract in every case, but the pros must be doing something and saying nothing. And if that's what it takes to detect a property that you may never, ever be able to detect, then you have to bring out the big guns and set precedent. Whatever it takes..... Mate!

HH

Conneticut Lovejoy!

Consider yourself privileged.
Must be a pile of early retirees down here making people notice.
I see some swinging like it's a sand trap. Pretty funny. They'll learn!
Not that they need pull tabs anyway. But have at it.
Most of the permit requirements provide protection for the flora and fauna...
(the deep and spooky woods where the shroomers and horsemen/persons go).
But the fields are kinda "Carte' Blanche", so long as they don't see a long or short handled shovel.
A good digging trowel or long knife is A Okay!
Actually, a lot of the better Rangers stop by and want to see what I found, and ask if I'm okay.
I am, however, the Old Pirate.
Sometimes they think I'm passed out in the fields. They actually drive way out to where I'm at.
They should buy binoculars.
And they find me elbow deep in dirt. So I sometimes think they would think that.
But it's all in just a day of Metal Detecting.
Garrett should make a PP with a flexible nozzle.
IMHO

HH

I agree, cold-calling with no contracts or cards, I seem to have no problems as I'm granted permission to hunt nine out of ten times.

Talk about bad luck, it took me over ten years to get the owner permission to search for pirate treasure, we did not find it with a back hoe, but I am sure it is still there in Connecticut. The owner own the backhoe, this happen over 20 years ago.

Persistence pays off. Too bad you didn't find it, but great he didn't charge you for the diesel fuel.:laugh: