Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Picked up nice 1266-x - need some tips

This thing has been in the closet for years. I doubt if it was used for one season. The manual is in excellent shape too. It has the 8 inch black coil and white lower rod. It seems to work great. I took it out to a soccer field today and ran the Disc 1 at 4 and Disc 2 at 7 like the book suggested to at least get some experience. The discrimination is really cool over beer caps and pop tabs. Clear as a bell on good targets. Our soil is very mineralized so I'm not sure this is the best detector for the environment in Colorado.

I'm looking for tips general tips and information. If I keep it I would like to find more coils but I have not found a good reference to indentify what is compatible other than "1200 series" and coils advertised for sale don't always tell you that. Was there any sort of a Bigfoot sweeper ever made for these? Is there any clue to the depth or makeup of a target? I used to have an old Whites 5900 DI and I could about guess the depth form the volume of the audio.

Congrats on the 1266x find, those machines were the original muscle machines of detectors.

Just a basic tip for coin hunting, set disc 1 just high enough to take out small iron, and disc 2 just below nickels and the sensitivity as high as you can and still keep the machine stable. One thing to keep in mind is you loose depth with higher disc settings.

As for coils there are several that will work on that detector. Just watch for the right connector, if they have a 5 pin female connector it should work. I did buy a 3 3/4" and it was for the earlier 1200's like the 1260 and one other, but it had a male connector and wouldn't plug in. I got rid of that and got another 3 3/4" with the right connector. For the most part if it says for the 1200 series machines it will fit, the ones with the male connectors are few and far between. You may have noticed that I also have a 1270 and all these coils listed below will also fit it as well.

3 3/4" , I have
5", I have
std 8", I have
10.5 spider, looking for but don't have
5x10 elliptical, I have
Some Hot heads out there but I don't know much about them.

Hope this helps,

Ron in WV

Thanks Ron. I'll give those settings a try today if it doesn't rain.

Also... a little known item that is useful and can still be found.

Your 1266x / xb is capable of using NiCad batteries that can be charged while in your detector. You will need a Fisher Battery Charger (FRL 150894) or a similar charger (and a suitable jack to fit the detector) with the following electronic specifications :

120v - 60 hz - 8w
15vdc@250ma

These can be difficult to find... but if you search hard enough they are obtainable on the web or at auction sites.

-NEBeachcomber

ps - jimbog check your email I sent those documents to you.

Thanks for the docs NE B. It's just too chilly today to get out and play. I also read about getting the Depthmaster amp or similar device for the audio. I don't see any used ones for sale. I thought about building one if RadioShack has the parts. I also noticed a Koss Unity Gain amp/EQ that might do the trick for about $20.

That's a good price.. It might be worth a try!!! as for the nicads... I bought some 3000ma nicads off ebay.. around $5.00 shipped. I've put around 10 hrs on them, in my 1266x, still good charge left on them, the battery test is still Loud..