Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pin Point mode 'discrimination'

Knipper

I learned this technique back in the early '80's from my detector dealer. He said it wasn't well known. We (hunting buddy and I) practiced it a lot and got good at it. It can even identify some aluminum targets but really excels at iron. Back then, almost all coils were concentric, and I found it didn't work for DD coils sweeping side to side. Recently, I tried it using the FRONT edge of the coil and found it works well that way for DD coils too. So, I made my first video ever about it. It's not profesional compared to some (I get tongue tied in front of the camera), but I think I illustrated the technique ok. However, on the E-trac, one must set the pinpoint setting to SIZING as opposed to NORMAL. Here is the link to the video...

Be sure to read the introductory comments, as they further explain method details and instructions! Please let me know what you think!

Iron can fool ANY detector, but this technique isn't fooled. It's limitations are when you encounter iron mixed in with coins. For that condition, the iron usually overwhelms the 'good' signal'. Also, it doesn't work as well in tall grass or vegetation, as it's best if the coil is on the ground, or at least very close to it. It's main purpose is to confirm iron and most aluminum in the hole, but works to confirm a conductive target too.
Give it a look and let me know what you think! Should work with any detector that has a manual, non-motion pinpoint mode!

Last edited:
Thanks, Knip.

My only problem with the technique would be knowing where target center is. Otherwise, interesting as hell, and I can't wait to give your advice a, heh, swing.

Thanks, Knip.

My only problem with the technique would be knowing where target center is. Otherwise, interesting as hell, and I can't wait to give your advice a, heh, swing.
Yes, for this to work effectively, one must precisely pinpoint where the target is. Are you familiar with 'de-tuning' the coil to reduce the pinpointed area to a small 'blip'?

Yes, for this to work effectively, one must precisely pinpoint where the target is. Are you familiar with 'de-tuning' the coil to reduce the pinpointed area to a small 'blip'?
yes...but please continue the de-tuning method for all to see....good thread....please continue on.