Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpoint mode as sizing and filter

Flbchbm

Last season I discovered the value of using the pinpoint mode for sizing and as a filter and I haven’t seen anyone else post about this feature(maybe I just missed it?). Despite my screen name, most of my hunting is parks, which tend to be trashy. I had read on the forums that pinpoint mode was good for sizing a target, so I began using it for that purpose in an effort to try to reduce the number of crushed cans that I was digging- man those suckers sound good, and in my area ring up in the dime/quarter range. It works pretty good for that purpose but I found that the sound a coin makes in pinpoint vs. the sound of other targets can be very different. In my ground, the sound of a coin will have sharp edges, whereas other items have smoother beginnings and endings to the sound. Being a coin shooter, this has been very helpful. Check it out and see if you see what I am talking about. Might be helpful....hopefully! Happy hunting, and Merry Christmas!

Yes, been using it to size targets. Outlined a huge single that was an engine block at the beach.

Could also consistency tell a tent stake with pinpoint.

Have not used as a filter as yet but can see how that would work. Also been keeping sens. lower to get the depth scale in sync and avoid those tiny tiny targets.

Alum cans here get their bottom cut off, then the remainder is a great concave shaped circle and sounds great. Still working that out.

A coin or silver ring certainly has a different more 'pure' sound. Cannot describe it, have to hear it.

Another great topic!!!!!

I actually read the online manual for the Equinox and after using it for awhile I had to keep repeating over and over-----------the pinpoint function and depth meter are calibrated for coin sized objects, the pinpoint function and depth meter are.....

Most of the places I coin hunt are in parks and areas where I have to coin pop with a screwdriver. Creating a slit and spreading it is okay but no plug digging and no shovels, trowels, etc. So, I really depend on the Equinox pinpoint feature to size targets. The Nox pinpoint features and quirks took some getting used to but coming from an X-Terra I was expecting weird stuff and I got it. I was about an inch off on coin targets for at least the first 40 hours!!!

I don't get to hunt beaches that often, but one way I use the pinpoint feature on the Equinox is kind of like tracing the outline of an object in the sand like Florida Son did, like determining how big the area is of the target and its probable shape by tracing its edges. It has become second nature now and I rarely get fooled by a crushed can. I only dig the shallow ones now in case they are masking something else.

It did take me awhile to learn that if I get a big (area wise) signal in the high teens to mid 20s that appears to be only one depth arrow deep I should assume it is probably more like 3 or 4 depth arrows deep and is an aluminum can or large can fragment. I go back into detect mode and do the coil lift and short swing thing..... small coins beeps really do stop beeping pretty quickly and large cans keep beeping for quite a ways. If I'm still not sure I use my probe and if I don't hit any shallow object a couple of inches deep in the pinpointed area I move on.

Sometimes a shallow coin spill, or shallow jewelry (big chain) spill can mimic large can or can slaw audio wise and with really jumpy numbers . So can deep big iron since it will give negative numbers in the center and often really high numbers like 38, 39 on its perimeter. I use the pinpoint function to see if there is more than one target, or overlapping targets. The pinpoint sound will stop and start over multiple targets. Sometimes it does this very faintly over adjacent targets at the same level.

Depending on soil conditions, I think I can tell the difference between nickels/gold and some aluminum can slaw and pull tabs by the really high pinpoint pitch some aluminum targets make. The pinpoint pitch sometimes seems to be lower for nickels and gold jewelry/bling at the same depth which is usually down to about 6" where I hunt. Below that depth, I just keep chiseling with my screwdriver if the numbers and size of the target are right. This does seem to be dependent on soil moisture and temperature and the thickness of the aluminum target. The pitch gets lower and fainter the deeper the coin sized object for sure.

I have actually just hunted with the pinpoint feature in bed of nails situations and especially gold prospecting where I'm digging everything. I just do it for awhile when I'm tired of looking at numbers and listening to crazy tones.....

Jeff

Most of the time coin sized object and especially coins themselves that aren't too deep will have very distinct borders that are just a little larger than the coin.