Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing probes compared? I'm interested in handheld probes built in the last few years, that will hit a coin at 3" +

[size=medium]Hi everyone! I still have my Detectorpro Pocket Uniprobe, which will hit a coin at well over 3" and a Vibraprobe, which only goes an inch-but I think is the best of all the older electronic probes made?
I read that Garrett makes a probe now, that will hit a coin at 3" is that true? I also saw that Detectorpro makes a "Pistol Probe" that's supposed to go around 5". Anyone have a chance to own either of these? Also, I see Fisher makes one and I don't know who all else?
I'm only interested in those that go 3" PLUS.
I've been out of detecting a few years and i'm behind in the times on these!
Help appreciated!
[/size]

If you search the forums for "ProPointer" I think you'll find an indepth review of this unit versus other pinpoints. I think that thread was in the Garrett forum and had links to videos comparing various probes and such as well.

I bought the Pistol Probe before getting the Garrett ProPointer and the main reason I sent the Pistol Probe back was the volume was so low I couldn't hear it with normal sounds going on around you.

Shame the Pistol Probe wasn't twice as loud and I would probably have kept it. For $161 it should have better sound.

Results for the Pistol Probe.

Frequency set on high.

Air Test at tip set for max: ______Air Test at tip set for min:

1c - 4 1/2" ______________________1c - 2 1/2"

5c - 5"__________________________5c - 3 1/2"

10c - 3 1/2"_____________________10c - 2 1/2"

25c - 4"________________________ 25c - 2 1/2"

50c - 4" ________________________ 50c - 2 1/2"

1.00 - 4 1/2"_____________________1.00 - 2 3/4"

Air Test on sides set at max:_____Air Test on sides set at min:

1c - 3 1/2"______________________1c - 2 1/4"

5c - 3 1/2"______________________5c - 2 3/4"

10c - 2 3/4"____________________10c - 1 3/4"

25c - 2 3/4"____________________25c - 2"

50c - 3"_______________________50c - 2 1/4"

1.00 - 3 1/2"___________________1.00 - 2 1/4"

I was able to detect a 5" buried dime in my back yard and it does pin point very well to the dime. If set for LED and no sound the light would come on at about 1" greater depths than the sounds. It is a big unit as expected. Uses 2 - 9V batteries and to change the batteries you have to have a screwdriver to remove the door. Also doesn't vibrate, all it does is beep. Also if the frequency is turned down to min., it also loses about half the depth listed above.

The Garrett can be detuned for less depth or supertuned for more depth and gets about twice the depth when supertuned. In my case I'm getting 1 1/4" as turned on and 2 3/4" supertuned.

The depth results for the Garrett Propointer can be seen on the Garrett Forum Section.

To me the Garrett Propointer is a keeper for sure and glad I went with this unit.

Ihave a Pistol Probe now. I don't use it because it drove my minelab crazy. So I bought a Sun Ray inline probe and it works very well. I thought my son might use it but he also bought a Sun Ray probe for his V-3. Now I may just sell it. But the Pistol Probe will hit coins deep.:minelab::tesoro:

The pistol probe is definitely the deeper hitting of the hand held probes. Been using one for 3 months now and it is great! Ed in co.

Thanks! Do you have any trouble hearing it, as was mentioned earlier?
Ed Steinhoff said:
The pistol probe is definitely the deeper hitting of the hand held probes. Been using one for 3 months now and it is great! Ed in co.

Chuck,I used the DetectorPro Pistol Probe and had very good results.Positive with the Pistol Probe was depth but took a little practice to recover surface targets.It did interfere with the Explorer and Sovereign when used with this probe,but could be corrected by keeping the coil further away than other probes.I had more multiple hits with this probe than others used.With in a week three Mercury dimes with in a couple inch spread in one hole about 8-9 inches down the same happened a couple days later with three Indian Head pennies.The reason I sold the probe near traffic and other background noise headphones are needed so I stayed with the Sunray Probe.The Pistol Probe in the right conditions really works well.I'll probably get another Pistol Probe for the coming season.HH Ron

[size=medium]Sounds like it adds more to detecting than just pinpointing!
It actually hunts below the bottom of your already dug hole too!
That sounds interesting!!!
Thanks!
Chuck
[/size]

Ron from Michigan said:
Chuck,I used the DetectorPro Pistol Probe and had very good results.Positive with the Pistol Probe was depth but took a little practice to recover surface targets.It did interfere with the Explorer and Sovereign when used with this probe,but could be corrected by keeping the coil further away than other probes.I had more multiple hits with this probe than others used.With in a week three Mercury dimes with in a couple inch spread in one hole about 8-9 inches down the same happened a couple days later with three Indian Head pennies.The reason I sold the probe near traffic and other background noise headphones are needed so I stayed with the Sunray Probe.The Pistol Probe in the right conditions really works well.I'll probably get another Pistol Probe for the coming season.HH Ron

Been a while since we E-Mailed each other and see you are still trying different detectors yet.
On the Probes I have tried many with some that to me is a waste of money, but the Uni Probe built into the headphones is a set I will keep as they work so good and easy to use with great depth. Most of my detectors have the Sun Ray inline probe, but they are not made for all detectors and that's where the Uni Probe comes in for me. Now for regular hand held probes the new Garrett Pro is the best deal I feel as you can hear this one plus it vibrates too. The Pistol Probe isn't cheap and some say it works good for them with plenty of depth, but to me I can not hear it as the tones are too high for my hearing plus the size is too big for me plus it does look something like a gun so it would be no good for parks and school yards. To me the Garrett Pro pin pointer has the best deal for the money.

In fact Chuck we have done business before and I know you are someone that can be trusted so I have a new one used 1 time you are welcome to try out yourself if you want and then send it back to me after a week or 2.

Rick

Hi Rick, yes it has been a while! I have used the Uniprobe headphone probe, but here in Florida, it's just too hot to wear HP much of the time.
I would love to try a Garrett Pro pin pointer! That's a very nice offer! I remember you once did the same thing for me with the S-8 coil, when it came out!
I will use it carefully and be ready to send it back in a week. Thanks my friend! :cheers: I'll PM you my address.

Wow what an offer :thumbup: Take that deal.......... Why would you want a pinpointer that would detect 3 inches? Some old BFO detectors won't even go that deep. I believe that would be a hendrence not a help. You want a Garrett! Everybody does. They just don't know it! Know what, Garrett should send me a fat check every month.......I probably sell more of their propointers than their dealers do..... :rofl:

You might want to check out these links about the Garrett ProPointer.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1093050

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1102535

Thanks Ron!
Those were both very informative!
I wonder-if this info came from a Garrett tech, why a sliding metal adjustment wasn't built into the units in the 1st place?

ron_c said:
You might want to check out these links about the Garrett ProPointer.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1093050

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1102535

n/t

I use earphones and can still hear the pistol probe just fine. If the wind is blowing or there is a lot of background noise I just move one ear piece back off my ear and there is no problem. The depth and sensitivity is adjustable and it is heavy enough built to take abuse in gravel and wood chips, works great as a detector by itself under low bleachers where you cant use a md. Ed in co.