Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing with the Nox 800

unearth

Can someone explain to me why the PP mode on the 800, and maybe the 600 also, is so low in volume when you first engage it? I have to move the coil away from the target turn the PP off, and then on again to get the volume up to a level that can be heard easily. And, sometimes that doesn't do the trick either. The sound is still way down in volume.

Only time that happens for me is when I engage the PP mode while being over some type of target.

I have experienced the same issue on my 600, I'm still trying to figure out the PP on this machine. Sometimes it is so faint I just watch the screen and the bars, other times it is loud and very accurate. Appears to me the good non-ferrous targets always have a good strong sound and PP is much more accurate in every direction. Bits of foil, some bottle caps, and tent stakes seems to have the issue with the low volume on PP. When it happens I will rotate 90 degrees and scan again then back into PP, sometimes it's better other times not. Also I have found that the closer the target is to the surface the harder it is to pinpoint. Seems targets on the surface emit 3 beeps when in scan mode one at each edge and center of the coil. So I tried lifting the coil up off the ground and it helped with PP. The Nox seems to have better sound and ID the deeper the target is, but my only use so far has been at the saltwater beach also I'm still learning the machine so I am no expert, just sharing my observations so far.

On both my Safari and my 20+ year old Garrett GTA500 if you start to PP while over a target it usually
dont work. Start the PP off to the side where there is NO target of any kind. Works MOST the time.
Also be sure you understand the pattern of the DD coil VS a roundie. You would be surprized
how many skip that page. I have seen on Utube experienced MDers doing it wrong & wondering
why PP is so far off. Those cats need a bobcat not a trowel !
Very shallow coins can be harder so I go over them with a hand PP before I reach for the digger.
You may also try the wiggle back method & skip PP all together.

HH Tom
LFOD !

The wiggle back doesn't work well with the 600, by testing on a coin the noise would stop about 4" past the coin, on other detectors the noise would stop just at the tip of the coil as it passes the coin. I have problems pinpointing too, the only thing that helps me is that i have a big scoop, but sometimes it still takes two to three scoops to get the coin.

The Nox's pinpoint function is less than great. It does work, but a bunch of bugs, and does not work nearly as well as pinpointing on, say, the Etrac. Problems I experience include "sticking" (tone stays on, usually at loud level, even when move coil off ground); volume problems; and too much not fading along one axis (probably because something else is nearby, but Etrac much better on this one). No deal breakers, but irritating. Hopefully Minelab will fix some of these in a firmware update.

Always Curious said:
The Nox's pinpoint function is less than great. It does work, but a bunch of bugs, and does not work nearly as well as pinpointing on, say, the Etrac. Problems I experience include "sticking" (tone stays on, usually at loud level, even when move coil off ground); volume problems; and too much not fading along one axis (probably because something else is nearby, but Etrac much better on this one). No deal breakers, but irritating. Hopefully Minelab will fix some of these in a firmware update.

What?! My EQX pinpoints more accurately than my E-Trac or CTX ever did. It sounds like your problems are more about HOW you pinpoint than the actual pinpoint function. Yes, I have had very low pinpoint repsonses and have had it "stick" a few times, but the same thing happens on the CTX and on the E-trac. It because of what is under the coil when you push that button, not a failure of the machine.

With my AT Pro I always had to approach the target from the side before I pinpointed. Same with the Equinox 800. But the 800 seems to be more often dead spot on than the AT Pro.

Jason in Enid said:

What?! My EQX pinpoints more accurately than my E-Trac or CTX ever did. It sounds like your problems are more about HOW you pinpoint than the actual pinpoint function. Yes, I have had very low pinpoint repsonses and have had it "stick" a few times, but the same thing happens on the CTX and on the E-trac. It because of what is under the coil when you push that button, not a failure of the machine.

Well, then, "how" I pinpoint works fine with the Etrac and the other 5 detectors I have, but not with the Nox, I guess...

Always Curious said:

Well, then, "how" I pinpoint works fine with the Etrac and the other 5 detectors I have, but not with the Nox, I guess...

Always Curious -- I get what you are saying, but I agree with Jason, too.

Yes, those little "bugs" you mentioned are definitely "in there" at times, for us to contend with. BUT -- 90% of the time, for me, those bugs don't "manifest" (and when they do, a quick dis-engage and re-engage of the pinpoint button fixes it for me, almost all of the time). Aside from those bugs, I do find the accuracy of the pinpoint on the EQ to be spot-on and extremely precise...

Just my two cents.

To the OP -- unearth, I think the issue there (the volume thing) may often be due to there being a lot of targets in the ground, such that when you move off to the side of your target (so you thought) and engage the pinpoint, you may be engaging it above or near another nearby target, which seems to me to kind of "confuse" the EQ PP mode. That's what it seems like, to me, anyway -- and seems to me to be at least partly due to how sensitive the machine is. When that happens, and a simple "dis-engage and re-engage" of the PP button doesn't fix it (which is rare) I simply attempt to pinpoint from a different "angle" -- i.e. I might turn 90 degrees and start off on the "north" side of the target, instead of the "east" side, for instance, and this usually does the trick...

Steve

You get what you pay for?

Wow. In my opinion that description is just about 180 degrees out-of-phase from reality, when describing the Equinox. The amount of features included, and the capability of this machine, as compared to it's price? ESPECIALLY on the 600? I'd say you are getting WAAAAY more than you are paying for, with this particular machine (when compared to the prices of other detectors).

As for bottlecaps? I don't dig any more of the crushed aluminum ones with this machine, than I did with an Explorer or than I do with the CTX. As for the rusty steel ones? They usually ring just below a nickel, and they are easy to discern once you know how. Just my two cents; I guess everyone sees things differently.

Steve