Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pinpointing

StephenA

I know this is likely an old topic but how does one pinpoint with the 3030?
Thanks, playing with my new one now.

2 basic ways: the DD wiggle and X'ing the target.

Engage the pinpoint button and watch the two bubbles on the bottom of your display converge towards the center, one from the left and one from the right. Once they light up Red and overlap one another you're on the target. My target will usually be right under the Minelab coil logo at that point. Remember to keep the coil moving when pinpointing and move it in a + pattern to help zero in. At that point recover your horde of Gold and pat yourself on the back;)

Haha. My bad. I was thinking about pinpointing with the coil in search mode. Of Course, using the PP feature is more exact! :shrug: I'll shut up and go stand in a corner now.

Both are good methods to use, some times one way works better than the other so it's best to be familiar with both!

Jason in Enid said:
Both are good methods to use, some times one way works better than the other so it's best to be familiar with both!

In fact, I'll use both on an iffy signal to check for iron...if the two methods differ by a couple inches, it's typically rusty iron.

mike

Nobody mentioned the two different pinpoint modes?? My preference is the default setting with target trace turned on to go along with the wiggle. The pinpoint with target trace will eliminate quite a bit of larger pieces of can slaw or similar bad targets and as mentioned above adding the wiggle will eliminate most iron trash. Most of the places I hunt are rather trashy and I haven't been able to use the pinpoint sizing to good effect due to multiple targets being under the coil.

indy durtdigger said:
Nobody mentioned the two different pinpoint modes?? My preference is the default setting with target trace turned on to go along with the wiggle. The pinpoint with target trace will eliminate quite a bit of larger pieces of can slaw or similar bad targets and as mentioned above adding the wiggle will eliminate most iron trash. Most of the places I hunt are rather trashy and I haven't been able to use the pinpoint sizing to good effect due to multiple targets being under the coil.

indy,
You are absolutely right to mention target trace, of course...I've been doing it so long, I've forgotten Target Trace is not on by default. :)

In fact, I hunt with BOTH 'target trace' and 'target trace pinpoint' on, and also turn on 'pinpoint sizing' and 'pinpoint lock'.
This lets me hunt in the pinpoint mode and simulates a (visually) discriminating, non-motion, all-metal mode.
(Advanced technique, and takes some practice, but gives greater depth...)

That Target Trace feature is a gold mine if you learn to use it. It's like a radar screen...painting all the different targets under the moving coil.
I was recently able to sniff out an Air Force captain's pin from among 4 other close junk items, all painted on the screen.
(It only hinted at audio, but the target trace was a solid circle(s).)

mike

trojdor said:
indy durtdigger said:

indy,
You are absolutely right to mention target trace, of course...I've been doing it so long, I've forgotten Target Trace is not on by default. :)

In fact, I hunt with BOTH 'target trace' and 'target trace pinpoint' on, and also turn on 'pinpoint sizing' and 'pinpoint lock'.
This lets me hunt in the pinpoint mode and simulates a (visually) discriminating, non-motion, all-metal mode.
(Advanced technique, and takes some practice, but gives greater depth...)

That Target Trace feature is a gold mine if you learn to use it. It's like a radar screen...painting all the different targets under the moving coil.
I was recently able to sniff out an Air Force captain's pin from among 4 other close junk items, all painted on the screen.
(It only hinted at audio, but the target trace was a solid circle(s).)

mike
Maybe my inability to use the sizing feature is technique related. I spent most of my first season with this machine sniffing out silver dimes in heavy iron trash and just got red smears running up an down the screen.

It's a lot to take in. All of the above is great advice but try to keep it simple as you possibly can especially
in the early stages. Keep the above information handy even if you have to print it and keep it in your finds
pouch because it is invaluable when you do get to that iffy target.

Me myself, I use target trace, target trace pinpoint, with pinpoint button locked when I find an iffy target.
Now, the above more experienced detectorist may or may not agree with this.
I wiggle all the time. If the target is beyond 6" even though with the wiggle I may loose it
I will mark my pinpoint position when it is beyond 6" a couple of inches inward of the loop
of the coil and have yet to miss digging the target without digging a second hole. If it is beyond
9", then and only then will I "use target pinpoint" and it has to be a good repeatable signal then
before I will dig. Seems the first 1 or 2" of the diameter of the coil to me is capable of being accurate
to 5 or 6" then it falls off but does not loose the target. This is not a cone shaped signal under the coil
but it is stronger to me when the target is near the center of the coil on a deep target, thus using target
pinpoint option to find target.