Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pitch hold Gold

utahshovelhead

Ive been tying to sniff out a few keepers from one of my oldest and worn out hunting spots and started trying a few different setups on the CTX to see how she might gain some edge for me. This particular spot is littered with iron and trash down 2 feet or more and has mineralized sand and salt too boot. Over the 7 or 8 years Ive hunted it ive found quite a few good keepers including a 2.5 gold coin. The last couple of years I only been skunked there and kind of gave up on it last year but I seem to never stay away from trying. I've used just about all the Minelab machines there and thought I had killed it all with the E trac and the 14 inch coil and then the 3030 with the 17 inch coil.
Last week I had to get out there and give it a go again...not that I don't have a bunch of other good places to go just that I cant let that spot go for some reason. Ive started using the pitch hold option and setting the discrimination for a high tone in what I've determined to be the "gold ring Zone". I'm using high trash, and put on the stock coil to sort through the iron trash.
I have to say I love the pitch hold in that trashy mineralized ground. It makes me focus more on the "tiny's" and I check more possible targets out much better with it. I don't move very far quickly as I'm really taking some time to look at the curser and how the machine is reacting to what makes the pitch change. I do dig lots more items with it but I know what might be found there because I've hunted there for so long and have lots of goodies. I was very surprised to find this 10K gold dainty little ring with a jade carving in it down 7 inches. I should of found it years ago at only 7 inches but it took the pitch hold to make it come alive. I've probably walked over it 50 times at least as its 20 feet from where I found the gold coin 5 years ago. I know at least 13 others (im sure more) who also missed it. Its not a supper find for sure, very thin gold, but always nice to find any gold target especially in this spot for me, and with a carved jade stone.
The real problem is...now I HAVE TO go back and go over that whole area again and again to see what else I can Pitch hold out!!!!

Good luck,
Shov

utahshovelhead said:
Ive started using the pitch hold option and setting the discrimination for a high tone in what I've determined to be the "gold ring Zone". I'm using high trash,
Good luck,
Shov

Shov,
What range DID you determine to be the 'gold ring Zone'?

:)
mike

lol, I took 100 of the gold rings I have and ran the coil over everyone of them, then I made a discrimination screen that took in all of these rings. Nothing too high tech.

utahshovelhead said:
lol, I took 100 of the gold rings I have and ran the coil over everyone of them, then I made a discrimination screen that took in all of these rings. Nothing too high tech.

What TID on what size rings were you getting? I have a couple of spots like your go to spot. They just keep on giving.

utahshovelhead said:

share?

Im searching now for very thin gold that has been missed by other detectors as well as me. It is my belief that that the very thin rings are all that may have been missed because its been hit so hard there. Im hoping that there may be a wedding ring with a stone as that is the most likely. AT least that's my take on the situation.

I love pitch hold. I rarely have it disabled.

Well, I tried it yesterday and I'm on the fence with Pitch Hold. First let me say how "I think": it works...... Turn on the machine and the normal threshold will be there, go over a change in the ground (target, ground minerals...etc) and the threshold will change over to the computers determination of what was just under the coil. Then that tone will stay there until another change / target is passed over by the coil.

Now I normally hunt with a very quiet threshold so when the tone changed due to a target, it would sound off loudly when right over the target but after going over the target that tone would return but at a much lower volume (due to the lower threshold volume level.

I can see where it may really help but it appeared to be changing threshold tones quite often (at the lower volume) without actually hitting targets at a higher volume.... Are those good targets I'm missing?? Sure hope I'm not sounding like a complete idiot here....

Maybe I just need more time with it and take some good targets with me for some proper testing.....

There are so many ways you can hunt with this machine!

Cliff

You have it correct but...

I'm in a pretty heavy trash area and they are mostly iron targets or low frequency tone so when I get hits in the higher range it makes me check them out or be more acute to them faster before I walk away. It actually makes the small good targets get attention in the trash. Like I say, do not move too fast with it on, and not all the tone changes are good targets. I still do all the checking and circling over the target in the other modes if your in a nice lawn you still want to make sure that the target is hitting in your regular set up.