Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

PLATINUM VDI???

ixlr8

I will be trying to locate a lost Platinum ring for a gentlemen this weekend, I was wondering what number to look for. He lost it 2 years ago in his parents backyard on an Ivy covered hill. I don't have any Platinum rings and I wanted to know if it's #'s are similar
to gold? I'm pretty sure it will be a solid signal, according to him it is a band style ring approx. 1/4 to 3/8 of a inch wide. I will be hunting in Coin/jewelry mode with my 5.3. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Platinum should read a little less than gold, size for size, so it should come in somewhat less than a nickel. It could be from +05 to +20 depending on the mass of the ring. I would suggest using the Hi Pro instead of the coin and jewelry and use the largest coil that you have for the added coverage. I would also turn your RX gain way down since depth shouldn't be a problem and that will save you time not listening to all of the deeper signals. It should come in very strong and very shallow with narrow bars on the signagraph. Good luck.

I have been doing extensive bench testing in different frequencies, in both the default "Normalized" modes and "Raw" modes. One observation that nearly floored me is that the V3's sensitivity to low conductive targets (gold) declines dramatically in low frequency modes. Even while accepting all VDI numbers, a small gold chain was invisible to the V3 in 2.5KHz, even at "0" inches. In 22.5Khz the chain gave a solid positive VDI response.

The test was done indoors with a 5.3 inch coil with RX Sensitivity set to 3.

My only other comment is that the 5.3 will have you out there much longer, and you have more of a chance of missing the target. I don't think the big Spider coil would be sensitive enough to a small target. I would probably stick with the 950 or D2 coil.

I have a plat. ring that I have tested with my V3. It is a small band with no stones. It comes up as a strong 16 on the VDI. Hopes this helps. Good luck. Wolf.

I have made up a chart of the TID of 56 platinum rings that I have found water hunting in Hawaii. I used a MXT to get the TID numbers. The number range from 2 up to 42. However most platinum rings read below a nickel.

TerryinHawaii

MVC-686S.jpg

Steve, The above ring reads between 21 and 25 in just about all V3 programs! Not on deep silver.
This is with the 10DD coil. I did not take time to put the BigFOOT coil on. I found the ring at Hueneme Beach about 4 years ago with my DFX and BigFOOT coil at about 1 inch in wet sand.

You ring sounds bigger...so it will VDI higher. I would use the BigFOOT coil and go low as possible.
I was hitting at 6 to 8 inch with RX down at 3 in my back yard just now.

If you want, I could bring the ring to the meeting.

Jerry

Hi stranger...:wave:.........nice to hear from you Terry. You must have been so busy digging treasure that you can't stop in here and say Hi once in a while...........:laugh: That 42 must have been some ring....:clapping:.

Most of the platinum rings that I find are either 900 or 950 rings. But I have found 7 platinum rings marked 1000 which is pure platinum. Their TID number range from 28 to 42. My heaviest platinum ring is 15 grams but since it is marked in some language that I can not read. I am guessing that it is a 950 platinum ring.

TerryinHawaii

Thank you everyone for your solid advice, I do appreciate it. Exactly what i was looking for,with a little luck maybe i can locate this long lost ring.
Hey Jerry if you could bring it in tonight that would be great, I will bring my vision and do some tests in different programs could be very helpful.

Thanks again
Steve

Jerry,
We are going tomorrow(Sun). Hunting Elysian park in the morning then going to Pasadena around 1pm. Marcos is bringing his cam. to record what happens, hopefully we will be successful. I will post the results.

Steve