Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Please Mr. Moderator,

jmorton04

Is there any way to scrape all the posted VDI info out of the messages, put them into a single thread and pin it to the top of the forum? I have been trying to do a search on VDI and vdi with no success. Ideally, a spreadsheet would be nice, with a column for notes on ground balancing, or whatever the poster feels is relevant.
Thanks,
John Morton

Hi John. I'm sure someone has a chart started for you, but making your own is an easy one hour project for common targets. The trouble with VDI charts is that they will vary somewhat with ground conditions and locality, they are also not reliable, especially with targets at depth, wear, orientation, multiple targets, targets next to trash etc. Air testing for a VDI is often not the same as a "seasoned" deep target and if you like to dig gold rings, they can be anywhere on the VDI scale from 35 to 70 depending on the size, orientation and purity, silver rings from 70 to 90. The VDI is just a tool to help you guess what the target MIGHT be, good or bad and experienced hunters will often gather more valuable information from how the VDI is reacting to a deep target and not so much what the numbers are. I wouldn't put put a lot of faith in a chart.

Larry,
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a rank beginner at Metal Detecting, and I guess I put too much importance in the VDI number. As an experienced Metal Detectorist what other information would need to be considered in addition to, or instead of the VDI?
Thanks,
John Morton

The best advise I can give a beginner is to dig every target at first. It is a lot of digging for a while, but you will soon learn that common trash targets will have a "signature" in the audio and visual display and you will quickly learn to avoid those targets. Even then, you will be surprised that there are some very nice targets that many others might ID as trash. Many pull tabs, pop tops, screw caps and other common trash items will often have a common "signature" and I don't dig those. It is the uncommon trash or the "maybe" signals that sometimes pays off big. Here are some of my favorite finds of the last several years. Of course you want to dig the targets you are sure of too. Good luck John.

[attachment 194270 2.jpg]

JM

The more targets you dig of the same type the more you will understand what your machine is telling you. You will begin to associate the tone and target response with a particular target in your mind before you dig it. Repetition is the key for a beginner and the more targets you dig the better you will become. Like Larry said, dig it all.

Good luck
BCOOP