Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Polar Plot

shafer44

Ok, I have been experimenting some and decided to try the polar plot on the analyze screen. I went into my menu and changed it back from pinpoint meter to polar plot and then went out in my back yard. I had my 6x10 eclipse coil, rxg 7, all metal 55, disc 75, recovery 45 and was in my coin and jewelry program that has a few things I have changed In it. I searched and I have a quarter buried at about 6 inches and when I passed over it and got the VDI and tone, I moved off the spot and pushed my trigger forward to bring up the Polar Plot. When I moved back over the coin, my polar plot remained blank, with nothing on it. I moved a little to get the tone and finally I get squiggly circles all around the center. I could not understand this, as I thought I should get straight lines of the 3 frequencies with the 2.5 dominant and should be the longest line. I moved around and got another target signal, that of probably a screw or nail as it was a -30 type signal, again I switch to polar plot and I get absolutely nothing on my screen. I move off and back to the target and I get a tone, but no polar plot. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I tried several other targets that I got hits on and MAYBE 2 of them actually showed me a polar plot with the frequency response lines or squiggles. Why am I not getting the lines or frequencies every time? I am getting good enough signals to get a solid VDI.
I did check my Probe screen and I did switch to my relic mode later also. Even with my Relic program that has 14-65-92, my signal % was 14.5% and noise was 0.5.

6 inches in some soils is the outer limits for the polar plot, it seems to work best on shallower targets. The pinpoint screen seems to be a lot more reliable IMHO.

Yes, I did see previous posts of yours and Fox that said 6" was a limitation sometimes, but the other targets that I found in my back yard were less than 4" and nothing on the polar plot. I had one that was 2 inches and was a piece of can slaw and it did not show anything on the polar plot for that??? I am just wondering why I get nothing at all on some of these. I too do not usually use this, I go by VDI, tone, pinpoint and dig, but I am just trying to use the options that are available on the V3i.

It has been a couple of years since I last played with the Vector Analysis and Sweep Analysis screens but if memory serves me right it seems coil control was key to both of those screens working right. I thought you must stop for a second or two, pass the coil over the target once and stop again after passing the target. Supposedly this eliminates other information (trash, minerals, etc.) from contaminating the info from the target. I think coil speed had to be just right too. :shrug:

Someone feel free to set me straight, my foggy memory gets worse every year I get older. :confused:

The stopping routine is what I use also. I also pull the trigger once before sweeping after the wait, but it might not make a difference if left alone.

Thanks guys. I can already see from my experience, that I will just put my analyze screen back to pinpoint and do what I normally do. That being swing the coil, listen for the tone, look at the VDI and the bars on the screen, pinpoint and dig. As Fox says, "I would hate to not dig a pulltab and miss a ring" or something like that. I may have misquoted him. But, I do know you have to dig a lot of trash to find a good target sometimes. I can't tell you how many beer caps and aluminum I have dug with good +83 VDI, dominant green 2.5 freq and still ends up junk......but sometimes it is a quarter or even a silver dime sometimes.

After you pinpoint, you want to do a full one-two sweep over the target. Not just a single one way sweep. You want to do a full left to right and back again right to left. That appears to be what is required to get a good response on many targets.

HH
Mike

Larry (IL) said:
6 inches in some soils is the outer limits for the polar plot, it seems to work best on shallower targets. The pinpoint screen seems to be a lot more reliable IMHO.

Agree 100% with larry on this one. I just grt confused which frequency is iron nails though. 2.5 I think?