Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Police scanner enthusiasts.

Elton

Be very careful when purchasing a new police scanner.

Many places on the net, and stores are selling scanners that will not work now. Or may soon not work in your areas. Analog is out. Digital is in...

Most, and by most, I mean many State, County, city agencies have switched over to the new specs required by US Government. Apco 25 I and II Phase and,,, and X2-TDMA systems...Marcs and Marcs IP.

Some still simulcast the old frequencies, and some may even decide to continue the simulcast. But it will be very few that do this.

A friend just spent $299.00 on an older model ( New In Box) scanner and he has limited to 0 pickup..... You too may be very disappointed if you buy from someone who does not care, or does not know what now works 100%... The stores just want to sell the in stock units so they are not stuck with them..

Check and see if your areas have switched to the new digital broadcasts..

I bought a Bearcat scanner maybe 30+ years ago, yeah it was all analog back then.
While it might be interesting hearing robberies, murders, wrecks, fires, etc.
All i ever heard were traffic stops. Not interested in hearing about other people's misery.

Too each his own...as a former police officer I enjoy hearing the calls. Serves as a kind of keep me in touch sort of thing...

Elton, i might of come off a little harsh. If you took it that way i apologize.

I have nothing but respect for police officers past and present, a job most can't or would not do.
Police need all the respect they can get especially these days.

Maybe if i lived in a large urban city like Chicago, the police calls would be a lot more interesting. They'd probably be non-stop.
Out here in the boonies the chatter was primarily traffic stops with an occasional prairie or barn fire thrown in.

I still have that old hand-held Bearcat somewhere but its useless today. Its a museum piece now along with a lot of my old electronics pack-rat'd away.
Just for kicks, think i'll try and find it and see if i can get anything on some of the channels.
It hasn't been powered up for at least 30 years though so i'm not expecting much.

No..I wasn't offended at all.. I was only explaining from my point of view as to why I enjoy hearing the calls.....

I can only suggest in your situation.. Install a outside antenna with some height to it..for longer distance listening. I do admit that isn't ideal as it isn't your area of interest, or mine far far away..

It's a lot more interesting to scan the area department where you know the locations of the happenings.. Sorry if it seemed I was calling you Sir. Not my intention at [size=x-large]ALL[/size].

I have gotten back into this a little bit. Problem is my county went encrypted this year with the police. EMS and fire can still be heard. Scanning is changing and the future of the hobby is not good for listening to emergency broadcasts. Trying to fill the void with other areas like air and trains. Just not that exciting to me. Seems all my hobbies are being dealt death blows by what society calls progress.

I downloaded the scanner app on my phone as well as the home computer and listen that way no extra equipment needed.

I listen to the scanner off and on sometimes I get a kick out of it yesterday a cop came on the radio saying that the cop that was trying to stop a black chevy going north on such and such road needed to break off because they were an undercover car trying to catch up to a suspect LOL

go to your store application and type in police scanner it will show you several apps you can download for free you will want to try them all to see which one works the best for you two of them have commercials but is a minor inconvenience

After listening to Police scanners for many years my last police scanner just quit. So I made an investment and got a uniden sds100 portable scanner and love it so far. It is a lot different from any of my past scanners from Radio shack...lol