Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Poor performance of V3 on corn stubble

Dylan

Can anyone help with improving the performance of my V3 on corn stubble here in the UK? I've been well and truly beaten by an X-Terra 70 now on 4 occasions (and an XP Deus on one) when detecting on stubble which was between 2 and 5 inches tall. I have great performance using my customised program based on the 'Mixed Mode Pro' program and have had signals down to a measured 15 inches on pasture BUT the stubble performance is rubbish. Yesterday I followed my friend around and when he got a signal on his X-Terra (which he was swinging well above the stubble) I then moved in to see what the V3 would register. On a number of signals which turned out to be real finds (coins, buttons etc) I saw nothing when swinging above the stubble (even with Tx boost on) but as soon as I stamped it down so that the coil was only an inch or so above ground I would get clear signals so it's either the stubble somehow interfering with the signal or maybe just the height of the coil above the ground? . I can't believe a detector costing 1/2 the price is better than the V3 - help!

This is your first post....:rolleyes:

You really must be kidding everyone when you say that the v3 couldnt see the targets. I was in a wooded area where a school house had been and was finding targets sweeping 6-10" over brush.

Have you gone to the 5hz setting and zero discrimination assign by tones? Have you slowed down the recovery speed to 75-85? Have you increased the wrap to 35? Are you ground balancing?

All these things combined can give you 3-6" more in depth and proper ID depending on conditions.

The detector costing 1/2 the price is not detecting deeper. It may detect nearly the same depth, but you will not have a clue as to what you are digging.

Thanks for the response. I'm still learning the machine and like I say it's great on pasture and ploughed land and I can easily ID everything since I've customised all the icons for typical British finds so the machine definitely wins hands-down there. BUT like I say, I was stunned (and embarassed) to see absolutely nothing register (audio or visual) until the coil was almost on the ground with some of these targets so I really need to understand why.

In answer to your questions: Ground balancing - Yes, I do this every time. Recovery speed - 80. I have nothing discriminated out as I prefer to see everything in the ground (there's not that much iron in the fields that I detect in) but all tones below '0' are assigned one tone and everything above '0' a different one. I've been using 10Hz so maybe that was the difference so I'll try the 5Hz. I'm using 'Best Data' rather than 'Correlate' so I assume the 'wrap' isn't relevant (????). Would Correlate give better performance?

Correlate might degrade your depth a bit, but when you ground balance, try to GB at the height that you are searching...........:shrug: Other thoughts are to set Discrimination and All Metal sensitivity as high as you can as long as it stays stable.

Dylan said:
Thanks for the response. I'm still learning the machine and like I say it's great on pasture and ploughed land and I can easily ID everything since I've customised all the icons for typical British finds so the machine definitely wins hands-down there. BUT like I say, I was stunned (and embarassed) to see absolutely nothing register (audio or visual) until the coil was almost on the ground with some of these targets so I really need to understand why.

In answer to your questions: Ground balancing - Yes, I do this every time. Recovery speed - 80. I have nothing discriminated out as I prefer to see everything in the ground (there's not that much iron in the fields that I detect in) but all tones below '0' are assigned one tone and everything above '0' a different one. I've been using 10Hz so maybe that was the difference so I'll try the 5Hz. I'm using 'Best Data' rather than 'Correlate' so I assume the 'wrap' isn't relevant (????). Would Correlate give better performance?

Hiyer - I'm in the UK too - I haven't been on stubble that much and I haven't particularly noticed the problems you are having, but I would expect to lose a bit of depth as I don't like the coil through the rough stuff. I am using 5 KHz filters. Otherwise your settings are just like mine. I use the Salt Mode to reduce the niose coming off the coil as it brushes the top of the stubble. I got 2 hammies last week on 6" high barley stubble.

thanks Guys. All suggestions welcomed! It's back down to the fields at the weekend to try these out....

Last Sunday on Stubble I simply could not stabilise my V3 Mk1 un modded....
Three sensitivites reduced down before it would detect. I am experienced with Whites since the days of the SL-90.
Trouble was last Sunday i was geeting frustrated on a field with about 40 other detector uses I am the only one using a Whites and a V3 at that.
Changing program did help. I noticed that the preset programs are not really suited to the UK way of detecting with the Discrim setting on the high side.
Serious thought here, I am beginning to get the urge to go and purchase an XP Deus.

me too , I m French, when I see my friend search with me with the Deus I m very surprised before the V3 ! I think at the future I take a Deus with my V3 , I taked my V3 for forest !!!!

Dylan said:
thanks Guys. All suggestions welcomed! It's back down to the fields at the weekend to try these out....

You might want to check to see if your coil is overloading. You crank the gain up to 15 and keep the coil in the air, pointed up and away from anything. Now keep in mind that if you get and erratic reading it may be caused by power cables or cell towers. I was hunting next to a radio tower a couple of days ago and it was nearly impossible with tower and overhead lines. You must make sure you are in area free from serious interference when doing this test.

Relic hunting you should see large objects at 3' plus in depth. I was detecting a beach and found a crab trap at near 4ft deep. I am standing on top of it in the picture.