Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Poor performance when the battery is low

t120r650

Have any of you observed poor performance when the battery is getting low? Yesterday I passed over a copper penny sitting on the surface and my Legend would barely pick it up. Very strange. The battery was low but it did not die right away. Anyway, have any of you experienced any thing like this?

I have not but I try to connect the Aux battery when the unit hits 1 bar of battery.

I run a fisher F5 and that has never happened to me.
When my batteries start getting low my battery bars start modulating back and forth, I've never actually let the batteries go completely dead so there could be a window from when they start modulating and go completely dead that the performance could be effected?

Ive run mine down to one bar running 4khz and usually by that time Im pretty much done for the day….. actually, the detector shut down once. I let it set a couple minutes and turned it back on and switched to M1 where it slowly climbed back up to two bars then back down to one bar.

Ive run mine down to one bar running 4khz and usually by that time Im pretty much done for the day….. actually, the detector shut down once. I let it set a couple minutes and turned it back on and switched to M1 where it slowly climbed back up to two bars then back down to one bar.
Ron is there a certain mode or frequency on the Legend that drains the battery faster ? I remember reading ATHC on the Manticore and one of the modes on the Deus ll will shorten run time pretty quick. Just wondering. Mark

Mark, sorry for the delay…. Been busier than a…. Well you know.
Yes, on the Legend if you run 4khz it will probably be near dead by 6 hrs or shorter.

Pretty much any modern detector, except for perhaps a 10$ third world kids toy, will have voltage regulation…once it hits a certain voltage it’ll shut down. Above that voltage, performance will be as it should be. The OP running over a penny and not detecting it is most certainly a case of something else being on or in the ground that wasn’t seen and was masking the penny because of where disc was set. Running low frequencies, running the external speaker and running very little disc which allows the speaker to be talking all the time will all wear batteries down faster.

I'm not sure it's a common part of most detectors but it would seem like it should be . I know minelab pointed it out on their Xterras. I do believe on the older analog machines that battery health does seem to affect performance.