Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Possible Permanent Headphone Solution

pspr

I ran across this post on the Garrett forum that sounds a lot like the problem people are having with many of their headphones. If you can handle a soldering iron this may be a permanent solution. Or you can choose the option the OP suggested.

"I had some problems with my wireless headphone transmitter not playing well with my Garrett AT Pro's internal speaker. The headphones work fine but the AT Pro internal speaker would not turn off. I sent an e-mail to Garrett and they confirmed that the AT Pro senses the impedance of the headphone in order to determine that it should turn off the speaker. Garrett engineering said a resistor in the range of 1,000 to 10,000 ohms across the headphone connector will solve the problem."

"SO... if your headphone (or wireless transmitter, in my case) works but doesn't turn off the speaker, it is likely that the headphone's impedance is too high. I found an easy solution from another forum."

"Radio Shack headphone extension with volume control - Part Number - 42-2559 ($9.99). use this between your headphone and the AT Pro Adapter jack, and it puts the required load on the adapter to turn off the speaker. For me it worked like a charm. Here is my AT Pro with the Adapter, extension cord with volume control and wireless transmitter- all tucked under the cuff."

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,1502689

i think the problem with that is i dont think people should have to solder there headphones that work with every other detector just to make them work on a CTX. just sayin! Cladking

No. They should send them back to the headphone dealer and have them solder the resistor in place. It seems the problem extended to a newer model garrett detector, also.

It is what it is. If you don't like using the ones that came with the unit then there are several fixes that work with all headphones. Enough is enough.

As Minelab (and several of us) have pointed out..... disabling the speaker of the CTX 3030 requires a signal from the Sleeve lead of the plug assembly. That is exactly what happens when you use the mono to stereo adapter, or the "patch cord" solution that have been posted. The MONO plug makes a connection between the Ring lead and the Sleeve lead. Thus, by plugging in the adpater or the "patch cord" with the MONO plug, it creates a signal to the detector. If you still don't believe me, try plugging in a MONO plug into the headphone module. Even without headphones attached, the CTX 3030 speaker is disabled. Once you plug in the headphones, the audio signal is carried to the headphone speakers, via the two conductor wiring of the headset. HH Randy

I've never had a problem with what I use. Just trying to be helpful to those who are having a problem. Although turning your stereo headphones into mono headphones may be A solution, I don't think it should be thought of as being THE solution.