Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Possible Seated Dime?

bradwheat777

I was diggin again in the backyard with the Vaquero and dug what may be my first seated type coin. But I am not 100% sure on that. It is pretty thin almost like it was hammered and there is a tiny hole at the top where it is bent. I think I can make out a partial date where is think I see a couple of 7's. Not sure but it is interesting nonetheless. Thanks for looking and HH!

Very nice !

I would try rotating it around and taking a closer look at both sides of the coin. I've seen many reales come out of the ground this way, but never a seated dime. You could have a real.

Coin shops sell an acid used for bringing up dates. Might help you figure out what it is. Just sayin'.

Thanks BillF for the coin shop advice. You know the more I look at this I think I see at least a 1, two 7's and either a 4 or 5. Not much else to go on, but it is really really thin..

Super thin!

It might be a trick of light, but I think I see 177*. I think the others might be right. Reale.

Looks like 1776 to me! Hmmmm. I wonder if the thinness is due to sanding off the design in preparation for making a love token (that never got done). The odd thing is that I have never seen a love token done on both sides. Certainly worth a second look!

Nice save!

BillF said:
Coin shops sell an acid used for bringing up dates. Might help you figure out what it is. Just sayin'.

The liquid is called Nic A Date and is sold on line or in coin shops. I've used it on buffaloes and it works great but not sure if it works on other coins.

I dug up about 6 half reals and each one was super thin like yours is. And the diameter is a hair smaller than a dime. I say it's a real.

I dug up a 1776 this past summer (same hole with another piece). The date on your piece looks an awful lot like mine.

Thanks guys for the help! I am still in shock as I was hoping to find some pre 1900 silver coinage before the end of the year and I think I've done it.:clapping: How this got there God only knows as I don't think there was a lot of Spanish or colonial activity in Claremore :rofl:. My back yard has seemed to come to life over the last couple of months so this find has given me a 220 year spread on finds from my yard. I have though dug a ton of iron but it has been worth it! When I get a chance I might have to try the acid method to get a firm date! HH!

Now that you bring that up, I remember it being used on buffs. Not sure about other coins.
Bradwheat, better ask about the acid before you put it on that coin. Hope its a real oldie. Get it? Haha.

chuckciao said:
BillF said:

The liquid is called Nic A Date and is sold on line or in coin shops. I've used it on buffaloes and it works great but not sure if it works on other coins.

You bet BillF ya'll been a reale help!:crazy: I like your 1776 better but I like mine too!

I agree on the date, I also dug a much nicer 1776 half reale from my uncles farm that also had the GW button. Congrats on the Spanish silver!

There is no doubt about what you have, after looking at yours and what doninbrewster posted, they're both the same.
Congrats, you lucky dog!

Woof! Woof! The year ain't over and I'm going to try for more silver.. Got some positive waves going!