Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

possible unbelievable error

I found this wheat penny yesterday the front and back are the same the one side is backwards it was not pressed or hammered and is not a novelty I am going to have it checked out tomorrow

Can you post some other pics. I'm confused about "the front and back are the same". The pic you posted didn't come thru but at least the link to it works.
Very interesting find.

Hope I'm wrong for your sake, but I'm pretty sure of what you found..

I'd love to see detail of that coin. You should first weigh it to see if it is 3.11 grams. All wheat cents except for the wartime steel cents meet that 3.11 spec. The chances of the anvil and hammer dies being the same are nil to impossible. Once struck the coins are ejected unless it sticks to a die as in a brockage error, yours is not. I have seen how in a machine shop a coin can be made as you describe without leaving an edge seam. It can be done keeping the entire rim intact from one of the two donor coins used to create the same sided "coin". Show that coin to a dealer (or two) for an opinion. If you then think you got a genuine mint error I would send it to ANACS instead of the other services.
I hope it's real and we see it in an upcoming Stacks or Heratige auction.
HH - Bruce

no I had it checked by two dealers one of them a good friend it is 100% authentic I'm going to have it sent out to try to get graded but it is real not a trick coin I will try to get better pictures but the one side is pretty worn so it is hard

That's a cool error. I never got the pics to load on my iPhone. Real cool, i made an asdumption from the text description, they often have some distortion and I didn't see that mentioned. Man Id love to find one! I have to fire up the PC to look at it.
Congrats on that find, that doesn't turn up every day.
HH - Bruce

Yeah Croaker!:surprised::clapping: Keep us informed what the coin guy says its worth...I keep telling the Wife, "I'm only one swing away from the jackpot!"
Mud