Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Post Civil War Eagle button

JCR TX

This general service Eagle coat button was found on one of my relic sites this past week. The only references I have show a date range of 1875-1920 for the back mark, "Steele & Johnson Mfco. Does anyone else have references that indicate a date prior to 1875?
My thought is that this is indeed a post war button and possibly from an occupation soldier during "Reconstruction" of my County. That was the only time Federal troops would have been here. The "Reconstruction" officially ended in 1872 for Texas. Any info appreciated. This is a rare find for my area. Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• Eagle GS.jpg
    Eagle GS.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Eagle GS bm.jpg
    Eagle GS bm.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 66
Sure is a beauty!

Fine looking button you have there.
My resources state the same date as you have.
I do see STEEL AND JOHNSON backmark 1858-1875
There are Steele & Johnson buttons that date from 1858-1875 but Steele & Johnson Mfg. Co. dates from 1875-1890. Clear as mud isn't it? Steele & Johnson button company was formed in 1858. In 1875 the became Steele & Johnson Mfg. Co.

Thanks for all the replies. I wonder how hard those dates really are. I just can’t imagine that button being lost here after 1872.

I took off work a little early this past Tuesday & re hunted the same area with the 6" Detech coil on the MXT. About 20 feet away from where I dug the first button I found a second one. This one is not in quite as good a condition but still cleaned up nice. It has a different Back Mark; SCOVILL MFG CO WATERBURY CT. The thin brass ring thru the shank is the same as the first button except this one did not disintegrate. I wonder if both were carded as replacements in a sewing kit?

Attachments

• unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 53
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 51
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 55
  • unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 55
I'm guessing...central Texas, hill country...Llano/Burnett area maybe????

Central East Texas, Anderson County. We saw much less Federal activity here. Only during "Reconstruction". Hill country/Central Texas saw a good bit of Indian fighting activity against the Commanche.

You button is a post civil war button. They were made from 1876 to 1902. The wings on your button are more pronounced as is the crest. Also the angle of the wings are different from civil war era buttons.