Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Preferred search coil for beach hunting with a Sovereign GT

I recently purchased a NEL 12x10 search coil after hearing how good it was on a Sovereign GT when used in black dirt. I also have a Sunray 12 search coil that I had purchased for hunting on the New England beaches. Due to all of the snow and cold weather up here in the Northeast... I have yet to go out and try either coil on the beach. (I guess you can call me a fair weather hunter?)

Since I'm starting to get a bit antsy about getting out to detect I thought I would throw the question out and ask which of the two coils the forum members thought would be best to use on the Sovereign GT for hunting the wet beach sand and in the water up to a depth of one or two feet?

Any response and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

-NEBeachcomber

Hi Beachcomber, I personally have a SEF 10"x12" COIL, and I LIKE It!! I CAN'T comment about the SunRay S-12!! Hope this HELPS, Les Robinson.

I have used the Sunray S-12 on the Gt at the Beach. Got good coverage and good depth. It is a very good coil.

Thanks Guys... I appreciate your taking the time to offer your opinions.

Hopefully the weather will warm up soon so that we can all get out and do some dectecting.

-NEBeachcomber

Some of the larger coils get a little chatty near or in the water so you may have to adjust your sensitivity. You hear all kinds of goods and bads about any coil, so a lot will depend on where you use it. I found the standard coil does about as well in the wet sand and water..... these larger coils really do their best work in the damp and dry sand. They provide more coverage and a bit more depth. Ive not used the NEL..... but a couple of the guys didnt like it in the water. Give us an update if you dunk it.

Dew

Thanks for the reply Dew.

I suspect that the 12" Sunray coil may perform better on the wet sand and in the water due to the reports I've read online. I have not seen as many reports on the Detech 12x10 being used on the beach which propmpted me to post my question.

I will definitely make my opinion(s) known when I get the coils to the beach... hopefully it won't be in the too distant future?

In my area of Massachusetts, we had a warm weather tease yesterday... it reach 39-40 degrees. With all of the warm weather we've been getting (just joking) I figure I won't have to worry about cutting my lawn for a while... I still have 4-1/2 to 5 feet of snow on it. :)

-NEBeachcomber

I have the Sunray S-12 on my Sov XS. Great beach coil. Wide sweep, sensitive and deep.

12x10 SEF coil

Thanks for the response JASONSPAZ1,

Seeing that you work the beaches slightly north of me I'll definitely take your suggestion into consideration.

Very shallow water to the dry, ULT13...hunting in PP, Hot Coil

If your going to swing in any kind of water you will be dissapointed in anything bigger than the stock 10". However if you consider your detecting day 1 1/2 hours this might be ok for you. My detecting day is 3-4 hours and there is no way I can swing a 12" in the water that long.

I owned a sunray 12 at one time and dumped it......More coverage yes, harder to pinpoint...YES....More depth...NO...Whare you down faster YES.

I know..hunted 4 hours yesterday.....

BTW 6'4 300...plenty of arm strength......

Dave

Thanks for the response midalake,

I'm 6-02, 250 lbs so I should be able to give it a good run with my newer version Sunray 12" or the Detech 12x10 searchcoils. But, since you're speaking from experience and I'm not... all I can say is time will tell how I will fare after long periods of swinging these coil?

Thanks for the response OldBeechnut,

I gave thought to the Ultimate 13 search coil after reading how popular it is on the forums... but since I already own a Sunray 12" and a Detech 12x10 I figure I'd better give them both a try before I purchase another beach hunting search coil.

I'm 67 and can only hunt for about 4 hrs on the beach. I use my Sov gt with the 10 inch cool and usually on the wet sand. I am always reading about the larger coils but have resisted so far. Are they really any better than the stock 10. I use the 8 inch sometimes and have had success. I was thinking about the Detech 12 -15 or the 10-12. I hate to send any more money on a discontinued machine. Reading the forums reveal that they sell very quickly.

Even if you did not get more depth you would gain a lot more coverage. If you swing the coil 2000 times in those 4 hours with a coil that is two inches larger then how much more beach would you have covered? You would cover approximately 100 yards more beach and increase your odds of finding something good.

GeorgeinSC makes a very good point. Here is what I come up with using a 4 hour hunt and a 2" larger coil (8" coil vs. 10" coil). I'm presenting a result that I would get using my method of hunting.

1. I believe it would take me 6 seconds to gain 3" of forward travel. Here's how I come to that conclusion:
a) I usually take about 3 seconds to sweep a 10" Tornado coil from the left to the right (3 feet at 1 foot per second). I would gain 2" forward travel in that sweep.
b) On the reverse direction sweep I would only advance my coil 1/2 the diameter of the coil so I get good overlap (yes, it's still needed on a DD coil). I would gain 1" on that sweep giving a total advance of 3" for that sweep cycle.
c) It took me 6 seconds to gain 3" of forward travel. The 8" coil would advance 12" per sweep cycle while the 10" coil would advance 15", and the difference gives us the 3" per sweep cycle advantage for the 10" over the 8" coil.

2. Hunting with the above sweep method would yield a total increase of forward travel of 600 feet in 4 hours. Here's how I come to that conclusion:
a) 4 hours times 3600 seconds in an hour results in 14,400 total seconds.
b) 14,400 seconds divided by 6 seconds per sweep cycle results in 2400 complete sweep cycles.
c) 2400 sweep cycles times a 3" forward advance results in 7200 inches of forward travel.
d) 7200 inches divided by 12" per foot results in 600 feet which equals 2 football fields in length.

3. This is all based on not stopping to check a signal, or to dig a target. The other interesting result is that, at 6 feet back and forth per sweep cycle times 2400 sweep cycles results in a side to side distance of 2.727272727272... miles of travel.

4. I sure will be glad when this weather breaks so I can get out and hunt. I've got way too much time on my hands...

HPH
4. I sure will be glad when this weather breaks so I can get out and hunt. I've got way too much times on my hands...

Wow, that's a critter hunter post.. But I like it. And amen to getting this weather back to warm...

Take the 20 targets your going to miss the pin-point on, and say it will take [depending on your beach] 5 extra shovels to find the target you loosend up in the sand rather than making a good pin-point.

Then lets say it's "just" 100 extra shovels

Now extrapolate that on time spent...............

Now factor in the extra energy used.

Dave