Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pro Coil Metal Detecting Tricks (part 1)

akelley

Neswiper has just published a new video showing his approach to finding good targets next to iron using the pro-coil. I didn't realize that the E-trac pinpointer will not pinpoint a nail "easily" in normal mode, and he uses this characteristic to locate the target next to the nail. Then he rotates the coil around the spot till he gets a audio/digital reading on the target. I think its definitely worth watching if you're hunting iron infested sites like I'm currently doing.

-Alex

Thats a good tip. Thanks for sharing
I do the same thing when I hunt
When I hear a good tone or squeak I do a little
circle trying to separate good from bad.
But why cant you pinpoint iron?
Pinpoint is in all metal.

With the author of the videos statement that iron will not be detected in pinpoint mode. My Etrac readily pinpoints to iron, as everyone's will. What will happen is, if you switch to PP and then move your coil over the iron target, you will tune it out, and will be able to tell if there are collocated targets. This is clearly evident at 3:34 in the video. As the author begins to move the coil over the iron target, you will hear an audio response from the iron, and then hear it tune out. It must also be pointed out that for this method to work as shown, the detector must be set to the normal PP mode. Depending on the size of your iron target, and its positioning, if you where to slowly sweep across the area of the two targets where your coil would be crossing both targets, you can still get an iron response. The Etrac does however do a good job of tuning out the iron. In my testing of this method, I did find that careful coil control allowed me to isolate my good targets next to iron without resorting to this method. I do believe that this method will certainly help some increase their finds though, but this is no substitute for careful examination of targets and good coil control and technique.