Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pro Find review

Steve,

It's a bit of a Lottery really! And a Catch 22. And a bit of 'Caveat Emptor'

From my testing (since Oct 10 when I got a test PF35) it's a bit of hit and miss and I would class the performance as 'inconsistent'.

Why? Because the [ Ferrous Tone, the smoke detector sound ] might or might not read the situation correctly.
In an article I wrote, I warned the detector operator 'to really interpret the detector's audio to the best of ability'.
Why?
A detector such as an 'E Trac' set in COND Sounds will hit a nail with a high tone.
It will also hit a silver coin with a high tone.

So, when digging and you happen to spot the nail first, and bear in mind that the [ size ] and [ decomposition ] can affect the correct signal sound, if it gives off the ferrous tone you mightn't look any further and might leave a coin behind.

I [did] find the ferrous tone was more inclined to be correct in drier soil and more inclined to have to be very close to targets to give correct sound in wet soil.

As I said, it's a lottery! If you're a seasoned hunter and pretty quick with digging and retrieving, then it works well.
But if you're depending on it to do the brain work for you and expect it to be right always, then 'Caveat Emptor!'

Jason in Enid said:
Steve, I agree with your desire for the type of discriminating pinpointer we need. However, if this has a better detection depth than others, I'll be happy in that much. I have one in route, so I'll let you know my thoughts after a bit of playing.

Jason -- I agree with you there, on the better detection depth. Will look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, as compared to the Carrot.

Steve

Des --

I get your point, and totally agree, about how when running in conductive sounds, when you get one of those iron tone/high tone combo signals, and then you dig only to find a nail first, you BETTER not simply stop there -- or you risk leaving a silver coin in the dirt. Absolutely agree. It's at that point, though, after recovering the nail, that if it were me I would re-sweep the hole with the machine, to determine if there is any other target down there -- i.e. to decide whether the source of the high tone I heard was simply the nail tip, OR if there is still a high conductor down there.

And, I agree that I don't want a pinpointer to take over the "brain work."

BUT -- all I am saying is that if the "iron tone" is to be the ONE STANDOUT FEATURE that sets the 35 apart from others, i.e. if the discrimination is to be a useful addition to the pinpointer over, say, a Garret or whatever that does NOT have the disc. feature, then in my opinion it MUST have that disc. capability function without having to TOUCH the object in question. Otherwise, I would see the "discrimination" as something of a sales gimmick. Because as I said, if I have to TOUCH the nail to get the nail tone, then it's not really useful in my opinion -- as I really could just use my EYES to "discriminate" and see that it's a nail...

Anyway, it seems that you are saying that from your testing, the iron disc. does have a bit more capability than "you have to be touching the nail" for it to work, at least some of the time, so that's a positive.

Steve

Des D said:
Steve,

It's a bit of a Lottery really! And a Catch 22. And a bit of 'Caveat Emptor'

From my testing (since Oct 10 when I got a test PF35) it's a bit of hit and miss and I would class the performance as 'inconsistent'.

Why? Because the [ Ferrous Tone, the smoke detector sound ] might or might not read the situation correctly.
In an article I wrote, I warned the detector operator 'to really interpret the detector's audio to the best of ability'.
Why?
A detector such as an 'E Trac' set in COND Sounds will hit a nail with a high tone.
It will also hit a silver coin with a high tone.

So, when digging and you happen to spot the nail first, and bear in mind that the [ size ] and [ decomposition ] can affect the correct signal sound, if it gives off the ferrous tone you mightn't look any further and might leave a coin behind.

I [did] find the ferrous tone was more inclined to be correct in drier soil and more inclined to have to be very close to targets to give correct sound in wet soil.

As I said, it's a lottery! If you're a seasoned hunter and pretty quick with digging and retrieving, then it works well.
But if you're depending on it to do the brain work for you and expect it to be right always, then 'Caveat Emptor!'

I am up to about 12 hours of use now and I find it is a bit better/different at some things than the Garrett Carrot. In a few plugs I have had nails and a coin. If they are on opposite sides of the hole, 4 or 5 inches apart and you get the point close to either, then the pointer will do the different warble on the iron if an inch or so away, and will give the clear constant on the coin. But, they have to be at least 4 or 5 inches apart. I have it set on the second 'low' sense setting.

So, it is a benefit, slight but definitely a benefit!! It is growing on me! At 75 years old my high freq hearing is pretty bad, so that is why I cannot hear it all that well. If it were a lower tone, I think it would be no issue for me. I can feel the vibration interrupting like the audible also.

I have one and have used it a few times. I honestly starting using it with the Ferrous detection off and liked it better. For me it seemed slow to respond in ferrous detection mode. Almost like it was confused and stumbling. Also I am not a fan of the tone when I compare it to my Garret Carrot. the garret it easier to hear when you have earphones on. These are my initial impressions and it may end up being better as I put more time on it.

"Don't get me wrong...I like the PF35. The Ferrous Tone is worth having.
It's very usable around wet and sea salt and doesn't overload at all from what I have seen thus far. It's nice and chunky, probably a bit too fat though!
I just prefer the Garrett AT for field work. It's classy.
The PF35 can produce some pretty high whiny sounds when turned on? Why so I can't say?
From around 20 on/offs between it and the AT pointer, the AT just 'turned on quietly', while the PF35 might shriek highly a few times from 20 on/offs?
The light isn't at all bright - the older 25 is piercing: the 35 isn't. (more like an afterthought?)
The battery end cap can be tight to remove and that's about it!

Go Buy one if you want. It's priced right and has a 24 month Warranty which is good if it needs replacing (from what I can observe inside the device, it doesn't appear 'repairable'?' I've repaired a few different makes by removing the screw and pulling the innards out. probably too costly, so they might replace them instead?"

Des D said:
Go Buy one if you want. It's priced right and has a 24 month Warranty which is good if it needs replacing (from what I can observe inside the device, it doesn't appear 'repairable'?' I've repaired a few different makes by removing the screw and pulling the innards out. probably too costly, so they might replace them instead?"

They have most likely potted the entire PCB to enhance the waterproof rating and the durability. Down side is that they become disposable instead of repairable. I guess that its a matter of finances. If they prevent more from being sent for repair than it costs to replace they are saving money.

It will be interesting when folks get their hands on the new Fisher and Teknetics pinpointers and compare them.

lytle78 said:
It will be interesting when folks get their hands on the new Fisher and Teknetics pinpointers and compare them.

I wish I could afford to buy one of every model to put them into a head-to-head comparison.

I asked about it earlier this week - the answer I got was soon.......oh well.

It’s pretty clever how they are bundling it with the F75+ and T2+ - not only are the packages a great deal at $649 and $549, but it gets a lot more pinpointers out in the field faster.

Jason in Enid said:
lytle78 said:

I wish I could afford to buy one of every model to put them into a head-to-head comparison.

"They're all much of a muchness! But I know what you mean - it's nice to try different ones to see if they offer anything of an advantage?

An 'essential' non-essential item in a detectorists pack! Just one is needed. Not much point putting too much money into it.
Given their use, they might not last long or will get lost! (how ironic)
I'm on Year 2 with my 'Garrett AT Pointer' which is a record for me to have one last this long! I'm very careful with it but having said that, I mislaid a 'Black Ada' foot assisted digger a few weeks ago!!! A friend mislaid his 'Carrott' the first week he had it! Ouch!"

lytle78 said:
Both the ML and FT pp’s Have a “walk away” alert.
"Yesh, that's all very well if you're actually using them!
I've lost 2 pointers either walking in or out of sites having left a zippered compartment open on my backpack!
Some wood sites I frequent, are challenging to get in and out of!!! One has such a steep incline (the site of the first loss) I use a climbing rope to tie into a tree and work down and sideways, then use it to haul up!"