Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pro Pointer makes a slob

I use a pinpointer like this. Find a target then use the pinpointer to see if I can get a hit on the target. If so I know it's within 2 inches if coin sized. Then I use my popping method to try and get the target out. Now if I can't get a hit on the pinpointer I will open a 3 sided 4 inch square flap to about 4 inches deep cutting the sides strait down.

Uncle Willy said:
Som e folks couldn't operate an electronic nose picker without plucking out a three pound booger.

Bill
He he he. That must've been right after you ate that good meal.

I see this a lot myself. I was detecting once at a place when a guy came up and began to detect nearby. I swear it took him 15 minutes to recover every target from the huge holes he was digging. I was having a cold drink before I left anf he came over and asked why I gave up on so many targets. He figured the 10-20 seconds I spent recovering targets was not enough time to find them, I suppose. He took about 2 bucks in change from his pocket to show me his days take. "Wow, that's great!" I said. I never showed him what I had found but it was about 15 bucks and silver Rosie. I remember it vividly as he said he had never found silver there and I just about always manage a few silver coins there. At least back then I did. My only comfort was it would take him years and years to remove significant amounts of "treasure" from the ground there and over the course of a few months I took about 2000 clad coins, 2 gold chains, 2 gold rings, about 100 wheats, silver, buffalos, and on and on. It was my favorite site for a few years. I still go back a few times a year and still do OK there. The good stuff is now not as plentiful and I haven't found silver there in quite a while. I did get two buffalo nickels there earlier this year with the AT Pro which is very hot on them. The shitty part, as you wrote, is following behind guys like that when they ruin the grass. I always fix it the best I can. I'm pretty sure I saw the video you watched. I no longer watch treasure hunting vids, BTW.

Chris

fongu said:
One thing I noticed was I used to wear my worn out jeans to metal detect and they had holes in the knees and looked like I was a bum. Since I started wearing new jeans or khakis to public places and not looking like some homeless dude, I get more smiles and how you doing from people. I'm not advocating dressing up to metal detect, but you shouldn't look like a hobo either. The first impression you make is the most important one and if you follow that first impression by using smart recovery methods, you add to your reputation as someone to be trusted. It's all about trust, I believe.

Lou Holtz, famed football coach and one of my personal hero's, asserts that this is the fundamental human question - Can you be trusted?
And as you note, this trust has to be earned face to face. It is the root of respect, and all other human interactions.

I've had people accuse me of being a scavenger for metal detecting, but I've learned to try and be diplomatic and educate these people. If you confront their fear with anger, you reinforce their fear in the first place and justify their lack of trust.

It has always struck me that I AM a scavenger. At the same time it doesn't bother me. I tell people that I am indeed a scavenger, that I come behind and clean up where others will not, or do not. In fact it is one of the most valuable functions in nature that of the scavenger. There is no shame in that game. Occasionally, I find something of interest and rarely, things of value. But mostly, I clean up.

I appreciate your well dressed approach, too. Unless Im going to the boonies, I wear khaki work pants. I look for them in the thrift stores. I try to wear a button shirt, too.
My favorite attire is a common work uniform - dark khaki pants and contrasting shirt. Mine even have breast patches on them. I look more like a city workman than a detectorist.
However, in the blast furnace heat of a Carolina summer, I shift to khaki cargo shorts. I wear a button safari shirt whenever possible with them. They are always clean and in good repair.
Like you, I avoid the scruffy look of ragged jeans, faded T-shirts and torn shoes. My hair is cut cleanly and I shave - often.
They don't do much for improving recovery techniques, but they do matter.

Tuck57 said:
No It's a slob using a pro pointer

Tuck
Yeah - but you know what I mean. :bouncy: