Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

probes

101numlock

I currently have a garret pro pointer and like it but am considering getting a sunray probe and was wondering if any of you guys have used both and your opinions on the two.

I have both the Pistol Probe and the X-1. I most definitely prefer the Sunray over the Pistol Probe. I have a problem of loosing things once in a while and it is an advantage having the pinpointer attached to the detector. Also, not having to worry about it going dead in the middle of your hunt is a major plus. Only disvantage is when you forget to flip the switch back to the coil (been there done that and I think most of us have) :detecting:

HH.......Rick

my thing about it is when you find a target with trash in the hole if you use a reg. pinpointer you will find the coin but you will find the nails and trash in the hole as well the sunray will discriminate and you will get your target and only your target ...... when you flip the switch the sunray becomes the coil in your hands so what you hear with the coil is what you hear with the sunray x-1

X1 is all I've ever used. Don't know how I ever detected w/out it. I know a lot of people swear by the garret too. It all comes down to preference I suppose.

Do you want a seperate piece of equip or attached to the etrac? Seperate batteries or same power as etrac? Different sounds while pinpointing or same sounds and discrimination as your detector? Price is always a factor too... got mine used on thE bay..

Maybe others who've used both will chime in...

HH

detectorfreak74 said:
my thing about it is when you find a target with trash in the hole if you use a reg. pinpointer you will find the coin but you will find the nails and trash in the hole as well the sunray will discriminate and you will get your target and only your target ...... when you flip the switch the sunray becomes the coil in your hands so what you hear with the coil is what you hear with the sunray x-1

I agree with detectorfreak74, I just ordered a Sun Ray X-1 for that reason. I have the Garrett Pro-Pointer and think its the best PP on the market, all but one thing.... it don't discriminate. :thumbup:

HH Rick

I use the X-1...but also have the Garrett for my wife or for a backup. My opinion is they are both real good. You don't have to buy batteries for the X-1, but both have great depth. I like being able to hear through my headphones the same sounds I heard before I dug, as I get closer to the target.

NebTrac

I have the Pro Pointer and tried my buddies Sunray X-1 for a days detecting.

I like the Propointer as it doesn't add the extra weight to the detector.

For me detecting up to 6 hours or more, I couldn't stand the extra added weight to the machine with the Sunray attached to it.

There's gonna be pros and cons to this one, as it's all about personal preference.

Good Luck in your choice

DJH

When I PP with the X1 I switch to max sens for more depth and the depth meter will be off with the X1 too. It does add a little weight but you can help to offset this a bit by mounting it on the battery housing (so I've heard) mine is mounted on the upper shaft... I"m ambitextrous when it comes to swinging so if one arm gets tired I give it a rest and swing with the other... My Sov Xs2 Pro taught me that LOL

good luck either way!

I had a Sunray probe on my Sovereign and quickly sold it. :detecting: My E-Trac came with a Sunray probe and I quickly sold that one as well. :detecting:

Having used the Garret Pro Pointer for several seasons I just could not get over the extra cords and weight of the Sunray. The real deal breaker for me was the way the Sunray snaps into place on the upper shaft. I found it extremely annoying to have to constantly take the probe on and off of the detector. Also the probe tended to get the detector shaft covered in mud. That being said, if the Sunray was cordless I would buy one in a heartbeat!

I hunt with a friend that has a pro pointer and the time it takes him to find the coin, only 30% of the time would he come out with a coin first the rest of the 70% of the time was the trash in the hole first, I out hunt him every time more finds lead to running into something silver or gold or relic first

H.H AND GOOD LUCK

I have a Sunray on my Etrac and also have the Garrett Pro Pointer. I keep the Sunray because it makes coil changes on the Etrac a breeze. The Garrett is my go to pinpointer 95% of the time. I will use the Sunray on occasion but prefer the Garrett.

:devil: Isn't this fun?

I have my New Sunray X-1 probe I got yesterday FS in the Accessory Classified Forum. I still like my Propointer but it looks like everyone is using the X-1.