Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Prospective V3i user questions

I currently own a MXT and am contemplating a V3i purchase. After reading and re-reading threads on what I consider the top two units (V3i and Etrac) I understand that these units have a bit of a learning curve, with the V3i more so that the E-trac simply due the the ability to modify practically everything. My question is how are the factory programs for this unit depth/discrimination wise compared to custom settings you folks have. I understand that each environment and style of hunting will require tweaks to settings, but until I get a better understanding of the machine I would probably use factory presets. I'm thinking mostly for coinshooting old schools/parks and such.

Thanks

The factory presets in the V3i are quite usable under most normal conditions. The only real changes that you would make to suit your hunting are gain and sensitivity and they are easy to find and adjust. The style of hunting you are planning suits well the presets in the detector. Then as you decide to try to go deeper, make adjustments for ground, etc, take small steps learning one or two more adjustments as you go. There is no need to master everything at once by any means. The only "if" to this is if you encounter EMI, then that will speed up your learning curve on how to adjust that out. There are many good threads on this topic here, but always feel free to ask. It never hurts to rehash a topic, bringing in new view points or explanations that might be easier to understand.

Hope that helps.

The factory programs are very good in the V3i. I use the Hi Pro with slight changes to the audio in the discrimination and it has served me well. Most of the adjustments are there if you want to use them, not that you HAVE to. Once you make adjustments to you liking, the V3i becomes a turn on and go detector. If you want to hunt coins, especially old deep ones, either detector will get the job done but you will find the V3i is far more versatile.

Thanks for the info. I've followed the Whites videos on you-tube and it really doesn't seem as hard as some make it out to be. What kind of depth/discrimination should I expect out of this machine in factory settings compared to my MXT?

Discrimination is what you make it and depth will depend on your ground and hunting skills. You can fine tune the V3i that you can not do with the MXT.

I use the C/J program with only 2 minor changes and I'M very happy with it.

triplehooked said:
Thanks for the info. I've followed the Whites videos on you-tube and it really doesn't seem as hard as some make it out to be. What kind of depth/discrimination should I expect out of this machine in factory settings compared to my MXT?

A friend of mine uses both and he is always talking about hitting past hunting areas with the "V". He used the MXT for 4 years before purchasing the "V" and feels that it gives him a huge advantage in terms of separation and finding those wispy targets. Have fun digging all those gold rings.

Sounds great, now I think my last concern would be of its durability and EMI issues. I know that Whites Electronics are infamous for their top notch customer service. But I have heard of some issues with this unit needing to go back to the shop.....any input on that? What about the whole emi thing. I hate to sound picky, I love Whites machines. In fact, I've owned three of them. But that's a lot of bones to throw down for something that has issues out of the box. Just trying to be honest....

Thanks again to all who have chimed in.......

I haven't heard of any problems where the V3i has had to go back to the shop right out of the box, can you give us some examples?

Here's one Larry,
I hope Hershey1 doesn't mind!

hershey1 said:
I have 3 Minelabs and the only problem I have had was a power issue with my Excall and they took care of the problem. My son has had his V3i to Sweet Home OR. 3 times in less than 15 mos. and just got a coil we bought for him Christmas back friday. In my opinion White's should have given him a new machine with the problems he has had in such a short period of time. People say all machines have some problems. Good luck with your choice. HH :minelab:

Let it be known that I think that both are great units. Not bashing, just want to get the best bang for the buck!

triplehooked said:
Sounds great, now I think my last concern would be of its durability and EMI issues. I know that Whites Electronics are infamous for their top notch customer service. But I have heard of some issues with this unit needing to go back to the shop.....any input on that? What about the whole emi thing. I hate to sound picky, I love Whites machines. In fact, I've owned three of them. But that's a lot of bones to throw down for something that has issues out of the box. Just trying to be honest....

Thanks again to all who have chimed in.......

There have been a couple of them that have had issues out of the box. In the past 2 years I can only think of 2 and one of them may have been messed up by the owner.

But what company does not have at least one defective? If you are looking at the "next closest detector" from another company, please dont try and compare the service.

I bought a Whites DF off of ebay, it was sent to me almost dead, Whites replaced the circuit board and the coil free of charge. Now it is brand new. They even rush shipped it back to me so that I could take it on my vacation. Dont worry about not having a detector for a couple of weeks with Whites. You should worry about getting your detector back at all with some of the other companies, without mentioning names.

When I first got my detector EMI was an issue for me. I did not realize all the power lines that where buried in my yard. I beat my head trying to figure out why it was going wild for almost a week trying to figure out if there was a setting or if I had done something wrong. Any detector will act erratic if you are on top of buried live power lines. All I had to do was turn down the gain.

A gain of 4-6 and disc at 80 saw a small pocket watch at 10+". EMI is not a problem at all anymore, unless I am right next to the highway with cars going by within 5 yards at 55-60mph, then I notice it until they pass. I also was able to squeak some more depth and quietness out of the detector by purchasing an external rf choke that goes on the coil wire, cost 3$. I have 3 buried power lines in my yard and a transformer in the front with high voltage town supply lines operating to my north. I also have a standby generator and wi-fi. I can hunt all the way around my house running my gain up as high as it can go but to do that I need to be 8 feet away from the live buried cables.

You will have no problems as the v3i is not prone to EMI as people like to exaggerate or they are unfamiliar with their detector. If you want, ask your dealer to test it before he sends it to you. Whites in Sweethome would surely do this for you.

It comes down to if you can afford it and want the best all round detector there is.

Great info. burlbark, thank you. It helps my decision a lot to get honest info. from the actual users. After Larry's last post I started looking around the forums for any patterns of V3i issues and I found it. Was it coils? Nope. Computer boards frying?...nuhuh The main issue I have found is Operator Error.....:laugh: And I misspoke about issues 'right out of the box', I didn't mean that literally..... The jist of it is that I want to make sure the machine is dependable, which I'm now pretty confident it is. At the volume any of these big name detectors are produced, there are bound to be a few duds, it's inevitable. Thanks again for all the input. It makes my decision easier.

Triplehooked

triplehooked said:
Great info. burlbark, thank you. It helps my decision a lot to get honest info. from the actual users. After Larry's last post I started looking around the forums for any patterns of V3i issues and I found it. Was it coils? Nope. Computer boards frying?...nuhuh The main issue I have found is Operator Error.....:laugh: And I misspoke about issues 'right out of the box', I didn't mean that literally..... The jist of it is that I want to make sure the machine is dependable, which I'm now pretty confident it is. At the volume any of these big name detectors are produced, there are bound to be a few duds, it's inevitable. Thanks again for all the input. It makes my decision easier.

Triplehooked

Your welcome.... There where some coil issues in the past but that was sorted out quickly and Whites took care of everyone.

The v3i is such a Gold magnet I am shocked that I have not found a Gold coin yet. As for deep silver. I was hunting an area my friend had gone over for 3 years with his MXT, I got a 83 vdi that broke up if I swung to fast or wiggled more than 4 inches. I thought it was a deep square nail, but when I pinpointed I was able to see that there where 3 targets at depth. It turned out to be a silver quarter at 8+ inches, this does not count the 2" of grass height. There was a nail on either side of it. That was my first silver coin with the V3i.

I watched a video of another companies detector air testing seeing silver with nails alongside the silver, even an inch away. I have done air test with the v3i with nails alongside of silver and I still see the silver, the nails can actually be right on top and touching the silver. The only time there is any masking is when the nail is inches above the target and stealing all the signal. I have duplicated the test exactly, there is no benefit to the other detectors. The only thing that will happen is many of the other detectors have trouble seeing gold.

Wait till you try all metal with VDI's selected. You will squeak out so many small targets at depth.

I think you are trying to make your decision the wrong way triplehooked. If you want the most bang for your buck, it very well might be in the unit you are selling, the MXT. Easy to use, plenty deep, great on coins, jewelry, relics, prospecting and reasonably priced.

People who buy the V3i or the E-Trac buy them because they have the features or function that they want at a price they are willing to pay. We are not here to sell you on the V3i, let the dealers do that or make up your own mind, but if you get a V and have questions, we will be here to help.

When it comes down a top of the line detector, your success has more to do with your skill than the machine used.

I started with a classic, the XLT and then got a MXT-pro. Used the MXT for about 5 months and missed my XLT so I sold the MXT. Been swingin the XLT ever since. I will be getting a V3i very soon. Can't wait!

Larry (IL) said:
I think you are trying to make your decision the wrong way triplehooked. If you want the most bang for your buck, it very well might be in the unit you are selling, the MXT. Easy to use, plenty deep, great on coins, jewelry, relics, prospecting and reasonably priced.

People who buy the V3i or the E-Trac buy them because they have the features or function that they want at a price they are willing to pay. We are not here to sell you on the V3i, let the dealers do that or make up your own mind, but if you get a V and have questions, we will be here to help.

When it comes down a top of the line detector, your success has more to do with your skill than the machine used.

I have to agree with Larry. That's why you don't see me giving too much advice about what to buy. I had a MXT and it was a great detector, it's one of the best Whites has built. If you have had your V for 2 years and are still running the stock programs with no changes, I don't know if the V was the best choice. MHO