Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pull tabs with the HF Elliptical Coil All over the place

Digger 45

I have tried different programs and different frequency and the pull tabs still come up between 58 and 82, i have lowered sensitivity and tried everything i can think of but with no avail my 11"coil is usually around 66 to 70 Any help here?

A lot of it probably has to do with the different metal alloys and also the different shapes they get mangled into. I would dig them all because there just may be some goodies down there. Or if you are using the ID normal feature and you have the Deus, try turning it off and see what happens.

There is no ID normal feature for the HF coils, with the LF coil on id normal they come in at about 66 to 70 regularly some of the old ones come in, in the 80's i'm on my third coffee can of pull tabs so you can see i dig a lot of pull tabs, but i'm getting up in age and i can't be on my knees a lot so i have to dig the high and low signals only. Just thought there might be something i have missed on the set up that would help me on this.

Thanks for the reply much appreciated .

Depth and partial masking determines ID fluctuation. With the elliptical coil, they use to read 92 a lot as well when you get the little round pull tabs from the 1940-50's. This the reason I parted with my HF coil but now I don't hunt the same ,I only hunt old farm sites and welcome the higher frequency. I don't dig by ID range, I dig by audio response, I think the higher frequency is the ticket when searching through iron infested areas.

We have about four types of pull tabs here in California and they all read and sound different, and we have thousands of them so it makes it very difficult to determine what is in the ground, most sound and id the same as coins and gold. I know i will have to dig many tabs and i have but would like to limit it down to a lot less of getting on my knees

The best way to determine tabs from coins is to listen to the tones. Tabs are a hard sound compared to coins which a softer type of sound. Try a coin and a tab side-by-side and you will be able to tell the two.

bibelot said:
Depth and partial masking determines ID fluctuation. With the elliptical coil, they use to read 92 a lot as well when you get the little round pull tabs from the 1940-50's. This the reason I parted with my HF coil but now I don't hunt the same ,I only hunt old farm sites and welcome the higher frequency. I don't dig by ID range, I dig by audio response, I think the higher frequency is the ticket when searching through iron infested areas.
Pull tabs were not around before 1960.

I should have said listen to the NUANCES, any one tone can tell the nuances between coins (or washers, large harness rings, etc.).

Hobo lobo said:
bibelot said:
Pull tabs were not around before 1960.
Not exactly true ! They were not the ring type pull tab associated with being made in 1963,I think the Alcola pull tab you are referring to.Here are two types from my scrap bucket, both are beer pull tabs from before 1960.

https://i.postimg.cc/kXFm6CDQ/DSC04332.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/L6NZtrbP/DSC04474.jpg

The first pulltabs were the ring type introduced by Coors beer in 1959. It took a few years for them to become so ubiquitous. I started detecting in 1961 or62 and don't remember digging any for several years.

Hobo lobo said:
The first pulltabs were the ring type introduced by Coors beer in 1959. It took a few years for them to become so ubiquitous. I started detecting in 1961 or62 and don't remember digging any for several years.
Whenever I find them,I find silver coins, they go hand in hand, like mustard and brats. The top tab were Iroquios beer caps, it's all I find in the little round cap form here. The other one is also from a beer can but I can't remember the brand name. Like I said, you start finding them, slow down because silver is sure to follow.I just assume they were older than you say by digging the dated silver coins. Here is a link on Iroquios, they closed in 1971.

http://www.buffalospree.com/Buffalo-Spree/September-2012/WNY-All-TIme-Greatest-Brewery-Iroquois-Brewing-Company/

I wish that was true in my area i would have so much silver i couldn't carry it home. i on average pull 15 to 20 pull tabs out on every hunt.I will play around with the sounds and see if i can isolate the sounds on different tabs would just like to reduce some of the dig time for tabs.

Digger 45 said:
I wish that was true in my area i would have so much silver i couldn't carry it home. i on average pull 15 to 20 pull tabs out on every hunt.I will play around with the sounds and see if i can isolate the sounds on different tabs would just like to reduce some of the dig time for tabs.
Like I said earlier in another post, that is not the coil I would suggest using for the type of areas that you hunt but eventually something gold might turn up since you're digging in the pull tab range. Fingers crossed !

The HF coils and hunting in trashy aluminum parks can be a bad combination depending on what you are looking for. The 9" X35 might be better for those parks at a lower frequency. The HF coils hit really hard on aluminum as they should. I was looking for gold jewelry when I used my HF elliptical so I knew I was going to dig 25 to 50 coin sized aluminum shards and pull tabs in order to be successful.

Jeff

It is sort of a to dig or not to dig as the higher frequency compresses the ID range. Don't be so quick to get rid of the coil as I did. I was once in the same situation as you are now, I have evolved to a relic hunter and the high frequency coil can be really really good....

I like the coil i will just have to get use to the different sounds, and dig,dig,dig. It has so many uses because of the shape and the HF. I never sell off something because i think i made a mistake buying it i just keep practicing and learning until i get it right.

I have been getting pull tabs that register 87-88 on the ORX, but the tone tells the story... They read good but sound hollow.

Xdigger
That is what I found with pull tabs.
They have a kind of hollow sound to them, as does most aluminum slaw, where a coin is sharp.
You need Good headphones to hear it well though.

I went beach hunting yesterday and was surprised by the lack of pull tabs. I only ran across 4 in 1-1/2 hours. This beach was wall to wall with beach goers on Labor Day.

I am new at the deus, still learning it and have the HF Elliptical Coil. I run it at 15 khz and love the separation of the smaller footprint. I may dig some pull tabs, but gold falls in the category too. 1000 pull tabs to every ring ? I love the smaller coils as I have found my best finds with them ever.