Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

purchasing etrac-relegating x-70 to backup

north1

Have had an xterra 70 for two years and it has been an excellent detector. However, even with the small 18.75 coil I haven't been able to find much in amongst the iron. Most of my sites are farm fields and pastures where old homesteads, schools and towns used to be. They are loaded with iron. Will the etrac be able to pull more coins out of these areas due to its seemingly better trash separation?

I also have a couple of other reasons for the possible upgrade. #1 My son hunts with me sometimes and wants to use my x 70 instead of the 20 year old garrett with no tid(and its getting tired with a coil that is starting to false). It has been an excellent detector and good for him to learn on, but he is 15 now and I can see his point. The x70 is a big step up, and would keep him interested in a great hobby. #2. At 41 I was diagnosed with colon cancer, had colon resection surgery 3 weeks ago, will take treatments for the next few months. It appears it was caught early, but I have alot of recovery ahead of me, and come spring I feel doing more detecting would be an excellent part of my rehabilitation process. What better way than to learn a new detector?

Financially, I will have to see how much funds are available this spring, but don't want to purchase the etrac if it won't be a marked improvement over the x70 for the sites I hunt. Any info about the purchase, settings for my environment(live in North Dakota with soils that aren't too harsh, but can very from sandy loam-clay loam) would be greatly appreciated. Wish everyone a Happy New Year, and good health and great finds for 2010!!!

The Etrac will be a great machine for you. Takes some learning but with the sounds,2 numbers and depth readings you will be able to pull out more goodies in the trash. I pulled out a 1850 $20 gold coin on my 3rd day out with it at a old hunted to death house site loaded with nails and trash. Good luck with your recovery and hunting we are all pulling for you buddy. Thats great you get to hunt with your son.

Holy crap, over 80 views and no replies!!! Perhaps my title was too harsh. I don't dislike my x70 and feel I have learned its nuances. In certain situations I would use it to check out new sites and for tot lot hunting (if my son isn't using it) because it would be quicker to use. Then perhaps use the etrac second to help pick out targets that have been masked by iron or other trash. Is my thinking false? Maybe it would be overkill, and x70 is just as good around iron?

In two years I have not found one silver coin with the x70. Lots of wheat pennies(29 which is allot for me), some Indians and older Jefferson nickles. Also found quite a bit of clad. Just feel I should be pulling out some silver.

Large majority of areas I hunt are old homesteads, schools and ghost towns which are now farmed over. Only 4 schools which are intact to hunt, but have been pretty well picked over through the years(by me with Garrett freedom three and Garrett grandmaster hunter cx111 not to mention other detectorists). I'm not a newbie to metal detecting as I started at 10 with a radio shack, then a sears(whites) then Garrett's and now the x70. Have found some nice finds over the years, but coin counts have dramatically fallen the last few and the x70 doesn't seem to be pulling out as much as I thought it would.

I have downloaded the etrac manual and spent about 30hrs making a comprehensive set of notes on the etrac from this forum(settings, etc). Would get the x1 probe and the sef 6x8 for trashy areas and Andy's' book. Is my plan overkill, and would I be just as well off keeping my money because the x70 should pull just as much out of the sites I hunt? I have tried digging everything with the x70 and haven't been able to find anything with iffy signals on the x70. Any additional info on settings for open field trashy areas would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about the cancer. Hope you have a full recovery! I have the exterra70 and the etrac. Etrac wins hands down especially in the trashy areas. It does great even with the stock coil in trash but you will want a small coil for the "really" trashy areas. Best of luck! Mike