Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pure Iron Reject

joedirt

I've seen in various places that when discriminating out iron some people block out FE 19 on down, some FE 25 down, some FE 28 down, and others as far as FE 31 on down.

If you are coin/ jewelry/ precious metal hunting and want to discriminate out iron, how much of the FE scale are you willing to leave open?

I understand that the FE numbers may blend on multiple targets or change a bit due to depths, ground, etc. but the CO numbers will remain somewhat more consistent

Example: A 12-46 could be a silver quarter and a 33-46 could be a rusted iron bolt.

How far down the FE scale are you willing to chase a good CO number before the FE number makes you think "nope, probably junk, I'm not digging it" ?

I've been using Andy's coin program and his is set at 28 which has worked well for me. I have quickmask set up at 34 to double check iffy squeakers and I sometimes detect in quickmask too. Setting the amount of iron depends on how much your ears can handle. The lower the better.

joedirt said:
I've seen in various places that when discriminating out iron some people block out FE 19 on down, some FE 25 down, some FE 28 down, and others as far as FE 31 on down.

If you are coin/ jewelry/ precious metal hunting and want to discriminate out iron, how much of the FE scale are you willing to leave open?

I understand that the FE numbers may blend on multiple targets or change a bit due to depths, ground, etc. but the CO numbers will remain somewhat more consistent

Example: A 12-46 could be a silver quarter and a 33-46 could be a rusted iron bolt.

How far down the FE scale are you willing to chase a good CO number before the FE number makes you think "nope, probably junk, I'm not digging it" ?

in your example of a 12-46 and a 33-46 which i think would sound the same in the conductive mode must be a difficult decision to know do i dig or dont i as yes at 12-46 could be a silver quarter so if you are in heavily infested areas switching to 2 tone ferrous will help you can run the machine with no discrim although it is a good idea to use the smallest edit cursor which is top left in edit and reject a line across to discrim 1-1 to 1-36 and 1-49 and 1-50 this is because iron will wrap around from 35 and give you a high tone in this ferrous mode you will dig all two way high tones and ignore low tones this is defo a great way to work in those high infested areas hope this helps in the ferrous mode the screen is divided horizontally and therefore makes all the 10s 11s 12s 13s as the same tone which in etrac language says dig me