Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Push Me Pull You

Mason Jarr

I stalked these sandhill cranes for over an hour and they never would let me get close. It was getting late in the day and I was loosing light so I ran the lens wide open to pick up as much light as I could to help with the camera shake. The shallow DOF caused the distant bird (the female) to be a little soft, but I liked the pose so I decided to keep it. These are big birds. The males are between 3 and 4 feet tall. They can be aggressive, too.

What do you mean about them being aggressive? You always post good pictures, thanks for sharing! :clapping: Kelley (Texas) :)

Those cranes are huge! I wouldn't have ever guessed they grew to be that tall. You photos are so amazing. Thanks for sharing with us. BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you, all. Kelley, I mean that beak isn't just for pulling up roots and grasses. If you get too close to them and they can't get away, they will put a hurt on you. I've seen them fighting other cranes and coyotes and they peck, kick with those long legs and beat with their wings.

We don't get a huge number of them around my area, but I saw about 10 pairs yesterday. When they start doing their mating dances they aren't quite as cautious so I might be able to get a little closer. I didn't have any camouflage clothing yesterday so they'd see me from quite a distance and start walking away faster than I was walking toward them. Then if you press them too hard they'll just fly. Bird photography can be hard.