Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pushing the Depth Limits of the 800

RLOH

The 800 continues to amaze me when I find older coins that are not all that deep, but have trash in the same hole. This usually happens to me at least once or twice a day. I have several parks where I have to have raw depth to get to the older coins. Finds are getting few and fewer in these parks so to find one or two coins is a good day.

I have come to recognize how these extremely deep coins sound on the 800. There are no numbers. The audio is a quick, repeatable "whine". I always check these signals in all metal. If they are rusty iron, it is a complete grunt. Yesterday, I got the first of these signals and was hoping for a silver coin, but saw a nickel sized coin at 9 inches. 1900 V nickel. There is no tone ID with coins at these depths so it is mostly a "luck of the draw" experience. Today's extreme depth coin sounded almost identical, but was an inch deeper than my Garrett Carrot. I was totally amazed to find a green Indian head penny. This was my deepest coin yet with the 800.

The 800 is not all about depth and my last coin proved how good of a coin detector the 800 is. I got a scratchy 24-25 signal that was quite loud. Four bars on the depth meter. This type of reading usually is a coin in the 4 to 6 inch deep range. I found a wheatie about 5 inches deep. Since is was so scratchy, I checked the hole again and got a one way iron signal. Being curious, I pinpointed a dug a rusty two inch nail that was about two inches off the plug. Not in the same hole, but close enough to make the coin signal scratchy.

The Equinox has set the standard for coin hunting. It is extremely easy to use and one can get real good real fast with either the 600 or 800. I talked a buddy in to getting one two weeks ago and I spent exactly five minutes explaining the settings I use. In three hunts, he found 4 silver dimes and 16 wheat pennies. He said he only dug clean sounding, not "iffy" signals. Now his other hunting buddy is getting one. I guess I should keep my mouth shut if I want to find anything decent in the future.

The 800 continues to amaze me when I find older coins that are not all that deep, but have trash in the same hole. This usually happens to me at least once or twice a day. I have several parks where I have to have raw depth to get to the older coins. Finds are getting few and fewer in these parks so to find one or two coins is a good day.

I have come to recognize how these extremely deep coins sound on the 800. There are no numbers. The audio is a quick, repeatable "whine". I always check these signals in all metal. If they are rusty iron, it is a complete grunt. Yesterday, I got the first of these signals and was hoping for a silver coin, but saw a nickel sized coin at 9 inches. 1900 V nickel. There is no tone ID with coins at these depths so it is mostly a "luck of the draw" experience. Today's extreme depth coin sounded almost identical, but was an inch deeper than my Garrett Carrot. I was totally amazed to find a green Indian head penny. This was my deepest coin yet with the 800.

The 800 is not all about depth and my last coin proved how good of a coin detector the 800 is. I got a scratchy 24-25 signal that was quite loud. Four bars on the depth meter. This type of reading usually is a coin in the 4 to 6 inch deep range. I found a wheatie about 5 inches deep. Since is was so scratchy, I checked the hole again and got a one way iron signal. Being curious, I pinpointed a dug a rusty two inch nail that was about two inches off the plug. Not in the same hole, but close enough to make the coin signal scratchy.

The Equinox has set the standard for coin hunting. It is extremely easy to use and one can get real good real fast with either the 600 or 800. I talked a buddy in to getting one two weeks ago and I spent exactly five minutes explaining the settings I use. In three hunts, he found 4 silver dimes and 16 wheat pennies. He said he only dug clean sounding, not "iffy" signals. Now his other hunting buddy is getting one. I guess I should keep my mouth shut if I want to find anything decent in the future.
I am going to remember what you said: no numbers, repeatable whine, no tone ID!

I have done pretty well with my 600! I have had a couple of coins that were deeper than my Whites TRX pinpointer!

You are getting a handle on the nuances of the Equinox. I posted a video about the deep targets the year it was introduced. The way it handles Coke {in field 1}compared to the competition is equally amazing. Well done!
HH Jeff

That is some excellent and helpful advice! I hear similar stuff on a mineralized beach and those two things could unlock some good stuff. Thx

I remember reading an article in the UK that someone detecting with an 800 had a good signal and started to dig, at 28in they found the item but then contacted the authorities to report it, not heard anything else at the moment. Will report if I hear anything.

Rloh, interesting topic for sure.
I have encounter a few signals with no VDI number only tone.
I tried to investigate but gave up. Maybe I couldn’t pin point it or after I dug didn’t know why I was digging a ghost or not?
Thanks for this I’ll be more patient next time.
Tony

Rloh, interesting topic for sure.
I have encounter a few signals with no VDI number only tone.
I tried to investigate but gave up. Maybe I couldn’t pin point it or after I dug didn’t know why I was digging a ghost or not?
Thanks for this I’ll be more patient next time.
Tony
remember that weak and faint signals will disappear on pinpoint due to its detuning function. If you lose a signal, then slide the coil off the target and hit the pinpoint twice to reenter.

Four bars on the depth meter. This type of reading usually is a coin in the 4 to 6 inch deep range.
Depth is one thing that still baffles me. Does the sensitivity or recovery setting make the depth read true? The manual says about 2" per bar up to 4. I still try to guess how deep if I see 4 bars I think 8". Most of the time I have to dig deeper.

weak and faint signals will disappear on pinpoint due to its detuning function
Good info and reminder scb. Thanks! (I like your name, my name could be cladcoinoldfart) :)