Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about a classic 4...

fishandchips

Hello, Im looking at a classic 4 and it has Mr. Bills mods done to it. Can anyone tell me what that is. The machine is like new and I would like to have it as a back up or for my wife. Thanks

Mr Bill does excellent work ,mine he added a threshold knob and ground balance switch and power booster. threshold control threshold >to hear the threshold audio comfortably. Ground balance manually to adjust the balance of machine to the ground of the area you are hunting in some like a slightly positive adjustment .Boost circuitry comes into effect at about 4 o clock position on sensitivity control it only works in discrimination mode.It seems on paper i have he may have put a self adjusting threshold switch two position switch mounted in front of control box on some machine,s . I think it is a 6.59 khz and can use Xlt coils.Also nickles will a lot of times ghost flash to left and back to nickle mine does pretty accurate id .This might help some http://66.51.97.78/jb/idxtips.html.It is nice machine older tec depends on what you have to pay for it.You might be better looking at new entry level machine with more features.Best to direct questions to Larry [IL] or Monte they are on the forum and you can do a search on the forum.Cant say all my information is accurate so i would double check.Hope this helps and good luck.

I like the ease of the older machines when im feeling lazy. Its more for my wife to use at the beach when we are there. She wont hunt in the dirt with me(to much work for her) . there is a 4900 d pro plus for sale also not sure witch to buy. Thank you for the info,sean

That is a no brainer for me. The 4900 D Professional is a 25 year old machine and heavy, while the Classic 4 is a current model especially with Mr. Bills mods........:thumbup: Unless you have a thing for Analog detectors, the Classic 4 should be a lot easier to use, lighter and deeper too.

The Classic series, as we know them, operated at 6.59 kHz, like the XLT and XL Pro, and used the same Blue Max series of search coils. That is a good assortment of search coils.

When the Classic's were being discontinued to make way for he Prizm seres (which don't measure up to the field performance on a good Classic model), White's made two models for Kellyco. They were the Classic 4 and Classic 5-ID. The Classic 4 was essentially the former Classic 2 that had two knobs and no Target ID, and the Classic 5-ID was basically the former Classic ID. That model had two knobs and introduced the TID to the Classic series. Both of them worked at 6.59 kHz, but the Classic ID also had the front end" changes so that it was functional with the Blue ax series of coils.

The Classic 4 and 5-ID made for Kellyco were not just renamed, but they also had a "front end" electronic change so that they operated at about 8.1 kHz and used only the Prizm series search coils. The Prizm's were dropped, in name, and are now the Coinmaster , Coinmaster Pro and Coinmaster GT. So, the Classic 4 is limited to the use of the Prizm/Coinmaster search coils which is a bit limited.

'Mr. Bill's' modifications are helpful, for those who understand a proper manual GB set-up for both search mode. Sadly, Bill isn't doing the modifications any more. I have three White's Coinmaster Classic models that have his mods, including a beautiful condition Classic ID, and when I took them in on trade I had some friends help me check them out. They were all impressed on how were a good Classic performs.

If you get it and need any help, shoot me an e-mail.

Monte