Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about pinpoint mode

hibby

Very new to the V3i. Searching an old park today. Occasionally, I'd get a fairly good signal swinging left and right but when I would pull the trigger to go in pinpoint mode, I'd find nothing in the area I was scanning. This happened on several targets. Other targets it would work fine. I never dug any of the silent pinpoints so naturally I didn't get to find out if there was anything really there. I was able to verify the Pinpointer function was working at the same time I was getting mystery silence by using a known metal target so I I don't think for a second that the switch or pinpoint mode were not working. Any ideas?

Make sure you move off the target before pulling the trigger, give the unit a couple of seconds to re-establish threshold, just as if you were going to use Analysis mode.

I definitely was doing that. Although new with the V3i, I've had an Eagle spectrum, spectrum xlt, and two different DFX detectors prior. I've just never experienced this behavior.

I have learned that If your coil is over a target when you pull the trigger you will get silence. It may not be the target you are trying to pp. It may be a piece of trash or a target that you cant hear because it is being discriminated out. Of course this is more prone to happen at a high trash site. When this happens try starting your pp at a different spot.

Something has caused your unit to sound off in discrimination mode which is not that uncommon, there could be a hundred reasons for that. If there is no target in All Metal Mode (trigger pin point) you are pretty safe that you have not missed anything good.

In search mode, you want an audio response that is repeatable, not just occasionally from one direction. With more time on the V3i, you should be able to tell the difference from a good target and a false target with regularity.

You may have your All Metal Sensitivity turned way down and your Discriminate turned up. I did that recently. I was getting targets in Search Mode but they were too deep to Pin Point with my settings.