Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about prolonged headphone use

mcb613

Giys, just thinking and wondering if there is any concern for hearing loss from decades of detector use. Obviously refering to notmal volume levels. Not looking gor any responses like " anything loud enough will ruin your ears", or the like. Looking for a real discussion , like running in single tone or 2 tone with majority of repetitive tone over time. Im wondering if 50 tone jas benefit for that reason???
Thx,
Mike

been detecting with phones since about 83. I have perfect hearing, despite exposure to gunfire. headphones at a normal volume arent going to do any damage whatsoever.

I don't see any reason why anything but excessive volume levels would cause hearing damage while detecting. It does seem like a lot of detectorists do have hearing issues however, yet how many times have you heard someone talk about a target "that blasted my eardrums!" I play it safe by keeping my volume level low to moderate and the gain on the high side.

Obviously any continued use of loud noises will affect your hearing. Thats why u should have phoned with dual volume adjustments so you can still run volume on high for targets. Aging compounds it. Just like eyesight. Yes there are always exceptions. Everyones hearing is different. ...the CTX does allow you adjustments at verious freq ....take advantage of it. Good set of muffs help. Ive used an aqua sound anyone that has knows....after a days hunting your ears are just ringing. So there are ways to avoid damage.

Dew

Its a risk I am willing to run.

I've been an avid detectorist since 1972. Over that course of time, I've had a lot of various detectors and headphones. The older BFO's made noise all the time. And some of the earlier headphones I had didn't have volume controls. I should add that I worked in communications and spent years listening to 1000 cycle tones and test equipment. I've also shot more than my share of shotguns, rifles and handguns. To say definitively that the sounds coming from my detector is what has causes that damn noise in my ears is not possible. But I suspect it has been one of the contributing factors. Now when I detect, I only use headphones with volume controls. And I've learned to lower the Threshold so that it is just barely audible. Sometimes I'll even drop it down one setting from there. I prefer having a "barely quiet" threshold compared to running a "zero" threshold because I know it won't take much of a target to break through that threshold setting and provide me an audible target tone. With the CTX, I prefer to hunt in Combined mode as it allows me to adjust the tone frequency for each target bin to something that I can hear well and isn't annoying. Listening for those five tones, along with those damned crickets, is about all I want to hear when I'm out detecting. JMHO HH Randy