Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about recommended reading

Tin Fin

Hi all,

I'm interested in finding out what everyone recommends as far as reading material on MDing. I'm not so interested in gold prospecting, though I have nothing against it. I'm not looking for detector specific reading either - Minelab, Garrett, White's, etc - not that anything is wrong with those. If a book is written about resources, researching, mapping, methodology, or related things like that, then that is what I'm looking for, and I don't care who wrote it - if it's by one of the brand name detector companies, that's ok, but I don't want to read about specific detectors.

I've been reading one book by Karl von Mueller, and though it is dated, it's a good read, and I would like to find more of his books, though they are older. To me, that falls in the "classic" detecting category. That's the kind of thing I would like to find. I'm doing pretty good with my research overall, but sometimes, it's good to read about how others approach it too, just to give me ideas, or things to ponder on my lunch time at work when I can't go detecting. Civil war books might not be bad either, but I'm working on finding books about that in relation to my immediate area.

I haven't found a Books section on Findmall - and if I search "books" or "treasure books" or similar, the variety is too wide to even begin to sort through. Any of your thoughts, recommendations about what to read, and why, would be great. I really don't care too much about how old a book is either; I like learning about all kinds of things.

I will be going deer hunting this weekend, so I don't know if I will be able to reply before Monday.

Thanks much, HH,

Tin Fin many years ago if i remember right i went to my local historical book store and found books and maps of the first settlers here on the East End of LI going back to the 1640,s , some farmer told me about a lot of old relics and coins he found in the farm fields out here and he used a metal detector to find them back in the 1970,s and i should buy one and try my luck , since i been a computer geek since 1996 i starting looking up everything i could find on MD,s and how they worked and the many clubs you can join etc , just type in a good search engine The history of Metal Detectors and you will find all you can read about them in general the actual hobby started not long after detectors where made for the military searching for land mines . Give it a shot you cant go wrong GL Jim

Andy Sabisch or his son has one you might be looking for. I think it was written around 2010. Andy has written quite a few, Ive read the minelab ones and the Fisher ones but theres one that is general metal detecting thats supposed to be good. I never got around to ordering one.

For the sov/excal specific, Gary Draytons book and Clive Clynicks books are very good reads with info from their hunting experiences.

How about a flick.....I've had it posted for awhile, maybe you have not seen it before, early 80's poss late 70's
. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruHwjbq6qpI

Really good video Joe alot of early history on MD :detecting: i can only imagine what was found on all those 100,s of virgin never detected beaches back in the beginning :stars: those for sure where the good ole days . By the way i have seen those big handle scoops before a guy out here uses one . Jim

Neil, I have Gary and Clive's books - not that I have learned everything I can from them yet. Have been through them several times, and will be many more readings of them. I've not read any of Andy's books, but will start looking for them; I've heard his name but not read anything from him yet.

Jim, I use the bookstore, library, online maps/libraries as well. It's easy for me to get lost in some of the online things, but I find good stuff too - started a notebook of websites - I bookmark many of them, but wanted a notebook because sometimes it's easier for me to "see" things in that form. The library I go to has an outstanding genealogy section for all counties in the state, and the origin state of people often. I seem to stumble on more things of relevance in the library than online for some reason though.

OBN, great video - I've not seen that before. Of course, I've only been on Findmall for 9 or 10 months, so there is a lot more for me to learn here.

I'm interested in all forms that people use for researching sites and such. Seeing the post cards in the video is a good idea.

I have been able to find some maps that date to the 1860's but the detail isn't much. I have however, found three or four building locations on the family land by using maps of various dates, and a few other buildings on surrounding properties using maps. I recently, online, stumbled on some scanned in "original" deeds of purchase of one of my relatives - that's in the 1850's. The land in mom's family is part of a Spanish land grant from 1793, and has been in the family since. I also found out that there was a fruit orchard on the land, as late as the 1940's - its location is reasonably well marked on the map.

Yesterday, when I stopped to pick up some food on my way to deer hunt, I saw one of the local papers from Thursday. For some strange reason, I bought it on a whim. Looking into it, there is a section of "150 years ago, 100 years ago, 50 years ago" and the original story from that date. It may not be the entire story, but it has leads about things from the day. Each of the three stories in this particular paper, is about a robbery that took place; one of them from a James Gang member. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

Thanks for your inputs - anyone is welcome to add their comments or ideas for research methods, books they read that inspire them or keep them going toward a goal, or videos as Joe posted.

Thanks much, and HH,