Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about super tuning a Garrett Pro Pointer

RKW

When super tuning a Garrett Pro Pointer to achieve greater depth, must one use the exact coin that is the suspected target? That is to say if you have tentatively ID'ed the target as a dime, must a dime be used in the super tuning procedure, or can you use a nickle for example? To those who have no idea what I'm talking about follow the link below. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUlewb1xGN8

Good question. ?? Another one .Why does this work ?? What does it alter for added depth. ????

From what I've heard the coin is immaterial. I actually don't want more depth. I chase enough small targets around in the dirt with just two inches of depth! A small earing back can be mighty elusive....

Since the propointer detects all metal, it doesn't matter what kind of metal you use. I use the tip of my digger and slide down the propointer. It's a bit big and awkward, but it works. It breaks the threshold of the circuit so it doesn't take as much to cause it to sound off. That's my story and I''m sticking to it!

No, the type of metal uses is inmaterial. You are simply pushing the auto tune adjustment of the Pro Pointer to the tip of it's sound off threshold. So, when it starts to sound off back off the metal object a hair with your thumb. Then touch the ground in the hole with the Pro Pointer as you hold the object in the same place on the side of it with your thumb. If you do get falsing, back off the object a hair more as the soil's make up may be pushing the Pro Pointer over the edge and sounding off. That's why even after doing this if you search around and think you've found the target, move the tip elsewhere in the hole and see if it goes quiet like it should. But if it doesn't, then obviously the Pro Pointer is sounding off to a false, so you need to back the object off a hair more with your thumb. Actually, what I do is if I think I've got the target sounding off I'll move the Pro Pointer away and then back off the metal a hair more, and then return the tip to the spot. If there is no more sound then it was a false hit, but if it's still there then you can be assured it's really the target. This takes a little practice as there is logic involved and a bit of art. If anything, just remember that after you initial back it off in the air to silence the pinpointer, that it may very well sound off to ANY ground when you stick it in the hole due to the minerals pushing it over the fine edge you are trying to establish. For that reason if it sounds off, move it around and see if it sounds off elsewhere too. If it does then back it off a bit more. If it only sounds off in one spot then chances are it's the real target.

I use the ring on my finger. I slide my hand down until it starts beeping and then back it off until it stops. Super tuned.

High,
I do the same thing Larry does.
It even works when/while wearing gloves which is a thing I ALWAYS do when poking around with my hand in holes in the dirt.
Glass shards or metal shrapnel can leave ugly scars on your fingers, besides spoiling an otherwise nice day.
HH
skookum