Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about the 17x11" CTX Coil

ScottTX

Would someone that owns a 17x11" CTX coil put it on a scale and tell me how much it weights?

I have searched all the literature and can't find any reference to the weight. I would like to know before I run out and get one.

Thanks

Scott, youre gonna need some kind of harness ( I made my own) to swing a 17 for any length of time. Don't take that as a negative, just how it is.

Scott,

I'm 63 and bought the Minelab Pro Swing 45 for $129.00 for my Safari / SEF 18x15 coil.
I use it all the time now. You won't believe how much it helps. It takes a few trial and
error adjustments to get it right but it works great.

ScottTX said:
Would someone that owns a 17x11" CTX coil put it on a scale and tell me how much it weights?
I have searched all the literature and can't find any reference to the weight. I would like to know before I run out and get one.
Thanks

Scott,
Here's what I posted on another forum some time ago:

I must be in the minority. I love the 17" coil, and I don't consider it that heavy....And I've had a torn rotator cuff for 8 years.

It adds a whole 9.6 ounces of weight:
11" coil on the CTX 3030 is 1 lb 6.2 oz
17" coil for the CTX 3030 only weighs 1 lb 15.8 oz.

Since you have to take off the 11" coil, you're only adding the difference in weight... 9.6 OZ.

I tried the Pro Swing for a while. It's well made, and works well, but didn't like disconnecting, and reconnecting it every signal.
Still, if I were to hunt for 8 or 10 hours straight, I'd probably use it (the Pro Swing.)

The reason most people think it's heavier than it really is, is because they extend the pole out too far.
This is a problem that has existed since the earliest metal detectors....you need to adjust the pole length so that the detector/coil hangs from your shoulder...instead of you holding it up all day.
That usually entails shorting the lower rod so that the coil just clears your feet while swinging. Try it...you'll see a big difference.

Have fun,
mike

Thanks Mike, I'm used to using the GPX with large coils.

Since I use the the GPX with the battery attached to the control boxing use it and shortening or lengthing the shift to maintain a balance. I think I could get the same effect with the CTX.

ScottTX said:
Thanks Mike, I'm used to using the GPX with large coils.

Since I use the the GPX with the battery attached to the control boxing use it and shortening or lengthing the shift to maintain a balance. I think I could get the same effect with the CTX.

Sounds perfect to me!

:)
mike

Glad it works for you Mike, but on old hockey shoulder injury limits me to about 2 hours on the 17" regardless of how I set up my rod length. But with a harness, I can go all day and never notice it. I only point it out because I can go all day on the stock coil and never notice it either. Apparently somewhere in that 9.6oz is my personal tipping point.

KinTN said:
Glad it works for you Mike, but on old hockey shoulder injury limits me to about 2 hours on the 17" regardless of how I set up my rod length. But with a harness, I can go all day and never notice it. I only point it out because I can go all day on the stock coil and never notice it either. Apparently somewhere in that 9.6oz is my personal tipping point.

I can appreciate that...I can make it 4 or 5 hrs straight with the 17", then all sorts of old motorcycle wrecks and climbing injuries remind me I'm 61 now.
:)
mike

I can easily bench 300 pounds but an hour or two with the 17 inch coil will have me reaching for some Advil. I purchased a harness but it is a real pain to use. However, the 17 inch coil gets at least 1.5 inches deeper for me.

I use a Camelbak M.U.L.E. Pack with the bungee system from the Minelab Proswing spare kit.
It works awesome! There is a D ring on each shoulder strap on the pack that the bungee can attach to.
You can instantly adjust the tension with one hand in about one second.
The pack is very comfortable and I forget I'm even wearing it.
It is not real big but built like a tank!
It's nice to be able to carry water, snacks and spare supplies with you too.
Once I experienced using this system I wouldn't swing the 13x17 without it.
The very first time out you will spend a little time getting it adjusted
to your body.
Once it's dialed in its effortless.
The big coil is addictive.

http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-M-U-L-E-Hydration-Pack-100/dp/B00JTOGGZG

http://store.minelab.com/product-p/3011-0246.htm

If you shorten up the shaft and swing the 17x11" in close to your feet it takes a lot of the pressure off of your elbow and shoulder (just don't wear steel-toed shoes).