Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question...CTX,, and 8oo Nox...

LS hunter

I'm just getting back into thing,,,I have been at it for more than 35 years now..my question is simple,,,Pro and cons on both detectors...I will be hunting parks and beaches,,Saltwater mainly....If i went with the ctx 3030 it would be used as im only spending 1500 ,,,Will the nox do the job on the beach and the nox would have warranty as the used ctx will not...I just want the best I can have for beach hunting..Thx any input is much appreciated...

A lot of a persons reaction to a detector is personal. Try to get each one of those detectors in hand and detect enough to check the ergonomics, hear some tones and make a few adjustments. Otherwise - the CTX is heavier and a bit slower than the Nox.

Yes ctx 3030 it's heavier and slower but what Ive heard it's 100% better in TID and that means less digging trash

Do you guys think the nox dogs as deep?

It seems most people have the Equinox(no,I’m not jumping on that “N*X” baloney,I’ll type it out or call it an EQ) for the lighter weight,apparent speed,apparent better pickup of low conductors,waterproof qualities and reasonable price. Hunting deep with accuracy Is an FBS thing,although some reports say the EQ does well here too. It really does depend on what you primarily target,where you do it,your physical conditioning,etc. The EQ does seem like a bargain for what it supposedly does. I use the words “apparent” and “supposedly” because I don’t have an EQ. I do have a CTX. And I can ALL but guarantee you that your trash-to-coin ratio will be favorable if you decide the CTX is what you need for your specific hunting.
IMHO,Minelab isn’t in the habit of churning out turds. It’s ALL great stuff,at least what I own and from what I see others doing with them. I can’t envision ever going to a different brand for what I do,though my Whites has treated me well in the past and is still fun to use. But for coin ID in trash and when hunting deep coins,the Minelabs really do a spectacular job.

Thx...guys...

I've owned 3 CTXs over 5 yrs just because I want to keep it under warranty for water work.
I have 20+hrs on my EQ 800.
My impressions in my highly mineralized soil:
Only interested in nickels, copper, and silver coins tough to beat the 800. Solid 13 nickels, incl war nickels, 22 and above equals copper and above. Maybe dug 3 zincs.
Separation is great, easily on par with my Deus.
Unfortunately the 800 is so chatty compared to my CTX I run 5 tone as 2 Tone - [13-14] [22+] as high tones the other IDs are lower tones with volume set low. This allows my ear to filter out the chattiness. Lowering sensitivity doesn't improve chattiness.
Dig more nails with the 800 than CTX, time may improve this.
Haven't hit our tough freshwater beaches with the 800 yet.
The CTX is so stable in my soil unless you crank it up on manual sensitivity. ID is great but I do dig more zincs, some hit copper & dime tones/ID. War nickels are not the same tone/ID as standard nickels. I can't remember the last time I've dug a nail... once again time with the machine I'm sure.
Right now it's tough for me to favor or dismiss either because they both have their place.

I own both detectors. I read a lot of the Equinox is chatty but I think that their machines just have not been set up properly for it's particular hunting site. I own the 800 and it is as deep as the CTX on salt beaches and in the water. Target ID hands down the CTX is the better machine. All and all, for me, the CTX is the better machine of the two for many reasons. The Equinox is a fun machine but no one has owned one long enough to see all it's short comings yet. My vote is the CTX is the most versatile and offers more options than the Equinox so my vote is for the CTX.

I have experience with both.
You will be digging more with the ENox , period , the ID is not as good but the CTX is definitely more of an armful.
No coils , beside the stock , for the Enox , a definite handicap.
For 1500 you should be able to find a CTX with enough warranty to assuage any fears you have of getting a "bad" machine.
If you use the Enox in the saltwater much it is becoming apparent you will be in the market for an after market shaft that displays some quality versus the cheap, stock Enox shaft so figure in an extra 150 to the cost of it.
If any part the Enox control handle breaks after warranty ( or for any reason not covered under the warranty) there is no repairing it , you will be buying a new control handle.
I have contacted Minelab about this scenario repeatedly and they refuse to address the issue as to the cost of the control handle should you accidentally damage it.

\"Carolina\" said:
I read a lot of the Equinox is chatty but I think that their machines just have not been set up properly for it's particular hunting site.

If you have any tips for my soil conditions I'd be happy to listen to them.

I have both as well and test ect tell me hands down the ctx is more stable and a LOT deeper
I still like the equinox but I use it a few times and then like today decided to take out Ctx and is very apparent how much better the Ctx is
I don’t dirt dig only Beach hunt
Really love the CTX as deep as I would ever need to Dig
14 inches on a 14k 6 gram Band easy
HH Ron

You have a good point there....That's the kind of information I'm looking for to help me make a fair decision....thx

I like the fact that the nox is a light detector truth be told it's not factor ,,I. Just want a good detector for saltwater huntting about five foot in depth at most,,,Some school and park hunting as well. One good point made was the Nox hasent been out long so we really dont know about it short comings as of yet if any worth worrying about...Thx guys...

LS hunter said:
I like the fact that the nox is a light detector truth be told it's not factor ,,I. Just want a good detector for saltwater huntting about five foot in depth at most,,,Some school and park hunting as well. One good point made was the Nox hasent been out long so we really dont know about it short comings as of yet if any worth worrying about...Thx guys...

Five FEET? Perhaps an anchor but certainly not a coin....

Water depth..

flysar said:
I read a lot of the Equinox is chatty but I think that their machines just have not been set up properly for it's particular hunting site.

If you have any tips for my soil conditions I'd be happy to listen to them.

Sent you a. PM

I would say get the Nox. It willi hit everything at the beach. Yes the numbers are ore stable on the CTX but since when at the beach you pretty much have to dig it all it doesn't really matter. Also don't forget the fact if your doing long days on the sand you can swing allot faster with the Nox and cover more ground and get more goodies. And yes weight will be a factor in 'tis scenario.

Get one of each, the 600 is all you'll need for most beaches.