Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question Explorer XS

bigealive

Just had a quick question... Friend of mine purchased a Explorer XS used last summer. We were just talking and he is not happy with it. Would there be any reason for this? He can't keep up with me and the 5-6 times we were out he didn't manage any good targets. I own a couple Garrett's(1350 and 2500). I have years with both of them. I have no knowledge as far as learning curve with this machine. Do you think he should take a step down or should I push him to keep testing and learning the machine??? Todd

Do a factory reset by holding the power button down when turning it on,
select coins,nothing else accepted or rejected.go to advanced mode,
leave response at normal,Volume at max limit,gain at 8,tone,threshhold at 5,
variability at ten,limits at ten,Sounds at conductive,Recovery,run deep on for now,fast off.
This is a simple settings and very user friendly.
He can change the settings later once he learns,but for now stick to this.
The point is to gain confidence,it is a great machine.

Harold Reese

Hi, I agree with bob. May take a little longer to learn than some other detectors but well worth it once you do.

Understandable... I will save and set him up. I enjoy the company and do not want to see him give up. I know what it takes to master a machine. I orginally started with a cheap-o and moved up to the 1350 Garrett and mastered the machine. I was lucky enough to afford the 2500 2 years ago and the machines are very familiar so the change over is not as complicated. I feel bad for him. The explorer that he has is a bit more complicated then the 1350 so starting cold turkey with a machine that runs many many different setups, like the 2500 GTI, is going to be very confusing for a beginner. Thank you and if you have anymore comments or idea to help him along they would be appreiated. Todd

I switched over from a Whites after years of being a faithful follower. The multitones were very confusing at first because with a whites if the target is bad so is the signal. But with the Explorer you can have good sounding tones that are bad targets and that can lead you down a trail of never ending trash digging. I set out to learn those tones and for 3 solid days stuck with it till I had them or at least a better understanding of them. Pay attention to repeating signals in two directions. What does that mean exactly? :shrug: It means that those flutey tones will make the exact same musical pattern whereas junk tones change with each sweep of the target. Once you get that down then you can start associating the tones with cursor location. :look:
After several seasons of using the machine successfully my understanding kept taking me deeper in the ground as I progressed to learning what fringe targets sound like. If he is just getting started tell him not to worry about the really deep stuff, for now, because that is an entirely different animal altogether and will come with time. He should have no difficulty finding stuff in the 8 to 10 inch range as he gets going so there will still be good stuff to find, during his learning process, as long as he is in an area that is fruitful. Remember with this machine you have to slow down you can't swing it like your chopping grass. :detecting: That took me awhile to get through my head and I still catch myself getting anxious. :rage:
Lastly remember the story of the tortoise and the hare, the race isn't always to the swift especially if you own an Explorer.
Just my two cents worth.