Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question For AT users

1950cupajo

I got out yesterday and I could only stay out for a short period. During my outing a came across several
targets that were deeper then my detector could provide a read out for. I know that's going to happen

I didn't try to go after any of them because I was on a soccer field. "That's my story and I'm sticking to it" :garrett:
After I went home it hit me, why the heck I didn't check them out in the first discrimination mode.
'"Learning process is still in full swing"

My question is obvious I guess, but just had to ask. If those "signal only, had been checked in 1st discrimination
mode and they still read as good, what's the percentage for them being a good target?

Please don't blow any smoke it burns my eyes. :rofl:

Get the probe out !

It's been my experiences with target ID detectors that the audio circuit goes deep than the VDI. First thing I'd do is see how fast I loose the signal lifting the coil. If the signal is gone it as soon as I lift the coil off the ground I'm inclined to investigate - dig.

as with any detector. fins a place in your yard and lay out different materials, Junk iron, jewelry, coins etc. practice going over them with the different settings. Then get creative, put some junk iron over a a coin (good target) and see how your detector reacts. I have an AT Pro and once you figure out all the tones. ( in pro mode Faint is deep) you will really enjoy the detector and it will become second nature how to set the mode in different areas. :detecting:

Soccer fields have recessed sprinkler heads that are deep in the ground and only pop up when water is turned on so as not too get chopped off by lawn mowers.
This is a fact, while digging one of these a few years ago the auto timer went off it pop up and scared the doo doo out of me

I would bet the grounds keeper was watching you as you were digging up his irrigation system. He GOT you!

Most sports fields have regulations about digging plugs. Make sure you know the town's regulations before digging!

I have been hunting this park for years and no one has ever said anything to me. But I return my plugs.
and carry out my trash targets. I also got permission about 20 years ago.

I would have been run off by now if I hadn't been doing right by them.

Thanks

and have been rewarded for it by unexpected targets..........Most important thing is if it does not feel right don't do it. When its all said and done though....a target left behind is the one you never get, good or bad that's beside the point, the point is it may just well be that dream find we all hope for :) So the ball is in your court brother, best of luck with your future hunts. PS (Sometimes on very deep targets I will dig a shallow plug, place the coil back over the target to get a visual.......if the numbers are fairly stable I then continue)
Cheers!

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I've heard a couple of guys on here talk about faint, deep targets that turn out to be silver. I'll be watching this thread, cause I still have lots to learn!
Tarajudy-That's funny as heck! LOL, that would make a good vid for America's Funniest Video!

First off, with any new detector I think it is prudent to start off with it running it a little tame and dig a good variety of tones and readings.

For deep targets, tone, tone, tone, is the over all key. And, tone can be somewhat site relative. By this I mean, if hunting a spot with pretty heavy trash, a good target among trash may only be a high tone tic or kind of a quick wisp, with a with a quick flash on the screen of a possible good target number. Tone, though, is still the key as a good target among close trash isn't often all that accurate. Yes, one is going to dig some trash, but the A T is truly one of the best for sniffing out good targets among iron and typical park trash.

For less trashy area's, that is where I find those high tone whispers to frequently be deep silver. On such spots, I run in Pro Zero, max sen. and 0 disc. and I can't recall ever digging a target with the A T that some numbers didn't show on the screen. And to hit deep targets, one must really go slow and over lap the swing and just cover inches of ground rather then several inches to a foot or so per swing. Of course, not every whisper is alway a good target. A small rust decaying nail, screw or small piece of iron frequently does sound good. But once one digs a deep silver or two, the non good targets quickly get forgotten.

I am mainly a silver coin hunter, so this is my approach and set up for finding it, realizing that I am hunting behind myself and others on hard hunted spots. HH jim tn

I find a lot of Deep Targets (8"+) that give off a Low Tone at first, then turn out to be good targets when you clear some soil off from the target. The key here (for me anyways) is to try to Paint the Target. As others have mentioned above, when going Deep, Tones are everything.
with the AT pro for sure.

:)

Thanks Jim and Night Crawler! I really appreciate the info you guys give us newbies! I only get a couple of days a week to hunt, and that's only 3 or 4 hours each day. I'm learning, but still have a long ways to go. I love this hobby so much, I wish I could do it every day. Although I don't think my old back with 2 bulging discs would appreciate it much, lol