Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Monte or anyone alse that knows.

I am using the G2 for relic and coin hunting and I cannot find a trick to help with those pesky bottle caps. I figured it out on my F75 SE but the G2 does not work the same so I need help. Is the 5" DD coil any better for this type hunting or will the small concentric coil that works on the F75 be better? If you got any suggestions please feel free to explain. I did get my first silver with the G2 today. (not first ever just first with the G2) I can say when people make comments about the G2 in iron I will stand behind what they say.

HH
Tommy

I would go with the 5" coil, the 10" Omega/Fisher coil will not work on either the GBSE or G2, I know, I tried it..............MO

I have a 5" FOR MY F75 that seems to be OK in my test garden so I will try it next on those pesky bottle caps.

Thanks
Tommy

Go to Fisher Classic Forum Dave Johnson has some tips about those pesky bottle caps. Even thou he is talking about the GBSE they(G-2) work the same. I myself do not like raising my coil to identify a target but that is just me. I do wiggle my coil slowly backwards to the tip and if the TID starts jumping around it is iron or a cap. If it is a good target your machine will lock on and won't change. DIG IT! Hope this helps. I use the 11 inch coil most of the time. It is too cold down here for me to be playing with the 5 inch right now. Look on the back of them caps you might win a prize.:rofl::teknetics::minelab:

i have the g2 and omega 8000. the 10 in coil that came on the omega works fine on the g2.. dave johnson said if you got a greek series coil to try it and see cause some will work.

Southernexplorer, do you know about the EPR (Edge Pass Rejection) and Quick Out methods that Monte teaches? Between these to techniques you should be able to tell a bottle cap from a good target most of the time. However, I have found that with my Gamma if I have the sensitivity above 94 that it becomes more difficult for me to tell. With the higher operating frequency of the G2 it may be even more difficult. My 2 cents...

capt.

Tommy,

Note that I said "almost" a couple of times because there will be some challenges. But it's usually not that difficult, but practice does help you gain confidence. Also, note that using any technique to try to 'classify' a potential bottle cap or similar iron-based hunk of junk, that is a challenge if the cap or target is too deep. Usually, bottle cap will be located within the top 3" or so of the soil and that will make it easier.

Note, also, that a DD coil can be more difficult to use due to the winding characteristics, and DD's are known for not discriminating as well as a concentric, especially closer to the coil. I do find the 5" DD a lot easier to use in heavily littered sites, and most often quicker to use to classify a bottle cap than I do the 11" DD coil.

If you have both the 5" and 11" DD coils for the G2, work with both until you master how to use them to their fullest to classify a potential bottle caps since they ought to read as Iron .... once classified. As mentioned below in some another post by 'capt.', you can read my Tips & Techniques on Audio Target Classification on our website. It is printable. just go to www.//ahrps.org/ and click on Tips & techniques. You will find it there.

If you have questions while working with it, just e-mail me at monte@ahrps.org.

The G2 is a very good detector. I have used it with every coil made for the Greek series and it worked OK for me, but I do prefer either the 5" or 11" DD coils on it for the general tasks I have depending upon the site.

Monte

I have read your tips and tricks and was trying those techniques yesterday but this 19Khz is a little tougher to master. On my F75 the iron meter will spike way up when multiple sweeps are done. I tried all metal on the G2 and I think I can hear a slightly larger target area. Practice, Practice, Practice.

Thanks Everyone,
Tommy
(southernexplorer)