Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question for Ray-mo or DrBob

jeffmrgan

you guys seem to do real well in the old "hunted out parks", how do you decide what areas to hunt to see if the park has potential? How do you decide if its not going to be worth your time and move on?

a few things I do is look at structures. Where would people have congregated there? (ex. is there an old bandshell or bandstand? old WPA picnic benches?) Next, I like to look at the ground by the trees. Are there roots showing nearby? If not, a good sign of fill dirt which makes things more difficult.

Another thing I do is to use wheat pennies as a gauge. If I'm not digging one up at minimum every 30 minutes, I'm not in the right place. I actually prefer them more frequently. I figure if the wheaties are not there, the silver won't be there either in most cases.

This of course is not an exact science. I had a trip several months back where I dug 7 silver and 8 or 9 Indian head cents but only found 2 wheaties. BUT, the finds spoke for themselves so I stayed:thumbup:

Also remember, In the "hunted out" parks, most stuff still left will not give you a "clean" signal. Target masking will definitely be present, so slow down and investigate all the "silver" sounds. If I get a decent signal one way and at least a blip or broken sound when checking at a 90 degree angle, I dig it. Only when I get a complete null on the 90 will I probably pass it up.

I hope this helps a little and gives you a guideline to maybe figure out a new park you are trying

thanks DrBob, do you start in the middle of the park or around the edges? I have a few old parks to hunt that are close to home, but it seems like there are usually powerlines above the sidewalks and my minelab doesnt seem to like them.

I usually start at edge closest to where I park my car, why walk over good ground:detecting: But I do tend to head in a little to where I have a "gut feeling". Now that one is impossible to explain but you probably know what I am talking about. You look around and one place just seems to be calling to you. go there first.

After all other places, I usually will try to work the extreme edges of the park. Yes, you will have to battle power lines, weird fill dirt and trash from the building of the roads or sidewalks but this is often a neglected area. In some heavily worked parks, these neglected or overlooked areas my be the best producing areas left.

For example, in my recent trip to Minnesota, we were hunting a well worked park. It was a very big one and in this one area finds were scarce. We were about to leave but decided to hunt this small strip of land between the road going through the park. So you have large are of park on one side and large area on other side and then a small 10 foot wide strip of land between the roadway going through the park. In 1 hour Michelob pulled 2 Washington silver quarters and I pulled my nicest Barber dime of the trip. So in this case, the overlooked, neglected spot was the producer.

gotta turn sensitivity to manual and turn it way down...until the coil stops acting crazy. Sometimes it just isn't possible.